(Closed) Planning a wedding with a 3000.00 budget… HELP!!

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
1636 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I can’t help you as far as local suggestions, but I’ve noticed in my own search for venues and vendors that a lot of places have deals and discounts for weddings booked for the remainder of this year – they’re all trying to fill up the empty spaces on their calendars for the rest of 2011, particularly in the less popular months at the end of the year.  So I think you may be able to find some deals like that if you scout around.

Post # 4
1325 posts
Bumble bee

I’m not familiar with the area, but there has been quite a few money saving tips on here.

First question, do you have any friends with skills? Baking skills, photography skills, gardening/florist, sewing skills, etc etc.

It doesn’t get cheaper than free so consider what friends you have that may be willing to lend their expertise as their present to you! Do you have a large group of people who can get together and do the food for your reception? I’m thinking like….20 crazy Italian mothers all running around the kitchen making food. lol

Post # 6
1325 posts
Bumble bee

Hmmmm, is your area warm enough for an outdoor event in October? If so you may want to look into any parks in the area or see if someone you know has available property/backyard. That could take care of the venue.

As far as catering, i would google search extensively, do your own appetizers if possible and provide your own alcohol (if you have any). Someone who knows your area though should chime in with recommendations! ๐Ÿ™‚

Do buffet instead of sit down because it usually cheaper. Also, I’m not sure what type of wedding you’re envisioning, but an afternoon dessert and punch is usually cheaper. That or a brunch/breakfast type.  Full on diners can be spendy.

Post # 7
979 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

We ended up having the local bar and grill cater our wedding.  It came to $13 a person for buffet. I would check some of them out.  I would check friends and family and see how many of them have tents and canopy’s.  That would be great for shabby chic.

Post # 8
295 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Totally doable! Just set your priorities and remain realistic with your budget. I also have a 3000 budget but am just coming in at a little over 2600! That INCLUDED my wedding ring and FH ring! I was going to do a post about how I did it after my wedding next weekend, but will PM you some info now. Hope it will help ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 9
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@futuresmarowsky:  Not sure it’s exactly within your $10 per person budget, but ours was, *relatively* speaking, close, for this area:  $20 per person.  Linda at Simple Touches Catering, on Maryland’s Eastern shore and she’ll travel.  Just fyi…

Post # 11
620 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Well for the catering you should really think about getting catering from one of your local grocery stores. I have had grocery store catering that was actually better than the 4 star hotel food served at the wedding. You should ask all the grocery stores in your area for their catering menu because most grocery stores that have catering usually have nicer stuff than the fried chicken and potato salad that you see at the deli. Although fried chicken and potato salad and other comfort food could go very well with a shabby chic wedding.

For where to have the wedding you should look into some parks and gardens(gardens are prettier if there are any in your area) that have a gazebo.

If you want to save on cake you can also get one from the grocery store and some grocery stores have just as good and better cakes than bakerys but with a smaller price tag. You can also ask them to make a small (say enough for 50 people) pretty layered cake for show and cutting and then have another sheet cake for serving. This saves money because sheet cakse are cheaper than wedding cakes because they don’t require decorating and wedding cakes cost more the larger they get.

The best way to save on photography is to get a photography student to do your pics for you. Most professional photographers don’t actually have a degree in photography anyway. They are just people who bought camara equiptment and started a business. A photograpphy student would probably do your wedding for just a very little cash and a good recomendation letter.

For your dress you can order some amazing custom made dresses for really cheap but since you are on such a tight budget you need to be really sure about the seller you are buying from because you won’t be able to afford to get another one if the first doesn’t work out. If you want some recomendations let me know.

For centerpieces, favors and flowers those could all be DIY since you are doing shabby chic. Invitations can be printed off your computer just get some better paper. If you are worried about tables and chairs you could do picknick tables or you could get folding chairs and spray paint them white. And then get folding tables group them together to make bigger tables(bigger tables less centerpieces) and make some tables clothes to go over them.

Post # 12
90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I bought my paper from http://www.paperandmore.com.  The total came to $34 for supplies (minus postage) for 75 invites.

Post # 13
2103 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I, too, am not sure about your area, but we had a budget wedding ($6000) and here are some things I saved on. I think the thing to keep in mind is that you’re NOT going to have a style-me-pretty wedding on a shoestring budget…BUT your guests don’t care about SMP. They care about you and the love you two share.

We got married in a county park, they have shelters that you can rent for very reasonable prices, and are not really ugly. My cost for venue was $550 total.

I was lucky to borrow tableclothes from my husband’s cousin who was just married last year, but I’ve heard of people using white paper or butchers paper on tables….provide crayons or markers which gives guests added entertainment.

We catered our own dinner….We had a taco bar with beef or carnitas, fresh salsas, queso, layer dip, crudite, and a fruit tray. The total was about $600 for 100 people, though I over-bought and could easily have fed 150. We provided our own beverages. We bought a keg and made a vodka-spiked lemonade or alcohol. We had iced tea and various sodas and water for those who don’t drink alcohol. Total was probably around $200-250 for beverages. I also overbought on soda and water.

My biggest expense was our photographer, but I know there are lots of options out there to save money on that, I’ll defer to others who have experience.

I wanted to pay for our bridal party’s outfits, so we went simple. My husband wore a suit he already owned. The Groomsmen wore slacks I bought at Kohls, BOGO, a white shirt that they provided, and ties which I found at Sam’s club for $7 each.  My mom, bless her awesome heart, sewed the Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses for me.

I went to garage sales as soon as I was engaged and starting purchasing vases for the centerpieces. We used various shaped milkglass stem vases and I bought the flowers from Sams.com. I used only baby’s breath (though had intended to use some hydrangea, but due to a mix-up on their part, that never came.) It is cheap, but eveybody commented how lovely and light it was.

We had an ipod dance. My husband is pretty good at throwing music together, so that was his job, and he did a great job. Luckily my Father-In-Law owns some nice audio equipment so we didn’t have to rent speakers or anything.

Our cake was gifted to us, as was the hairstyling….but I know people save by getting sheet cake or grocery store cakes.

We DIY our makeup.

Post # 14
6015 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

You should reach out to Dimitri’s, they have great food, I’m not sure if they cater but we had a few christmas parties there for about 70 people under $500.00 including limited booze.

I’ve been to a wedding reception in Mathews 1600, in the basement.  I know the woman who’s wedding that was got cupcakes, instead of cake, from Sam’s club that were amazing.  I have no idea the cost, but it’s fairly big and has a dance floor, and this was a budget reception.

There’s also a few bars in historic Ellicot city that may work out.  Overhills Mansion is another spot you could check out. 

There are a ton of parks in catonsville, a friend of mine has a family reunion at one, they bring their own food/drink and music. They have bathroom facilities.

Like pp said .. you may luck out on places trying to fill up their venues.

Post # 15
1486 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I would also suggest a friday of a sunday instead of a saturday, we got 50% off the venue for booking sunday instead of saturday.  

Post # 16
749 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Smokehouse grill near annapolis has a package for $10 a person, we are considering going with them for our wedding ๐Ÿ™‚ Its so fun that we have the same theme in the same area lol we can share suggestions!

The topic ‘Planning a wedding with a 3000.00 budget… HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors