So we decided that instead of going to a reception venue where they take care of all the food, drink, decorations, etc, we’re going to hire a hall and all of the vendors (caterer, bartenders, DJ, etc) ourselves.
I’m trying to figure out a menu where we only have to get the main meal catered – because caterers are really expensive! This is what I have so far:
Pre-dinner drinks (only 15-30 min):
– Italian-style crusty bread with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and dukkah for dipping (this will be set on high bar tables, not trayed around).
Entree: 4 shared platters per table (cold, pre-set on tables):
– 2 antipasto platters (salami, ham, feta, semi dried tomato, artichokes)
– 2 dips platters (2-3 types of dips, pita bread, breadsticks, olives)
Main course (catered, hot) – choice of:
– vego / gluten free
(exact descriptions of each will depend on which caterer we go with, but these are the choices we’ll be offering)
+ bowls of salad to be served to each table to share
Dessert (cold, buffet-style):
– wedding cake (main dessert) – 3 different flavours of mud cake
– other dessert buffet items (cupcakes, mini cheesecakes, chocolate mousse, etc)
Shared cheese platters to finish
I should note that I want to start pre-dinner drinks at 5.30pm, and we will have the hall until 1am, so we are feeding/entertaining people for over 7 hours!
Also, on another note: would it be strange to put any leftovers (antipasto and dessert, i anticipate) into takeaway containers and offer them to guests on their way out? I hate wastage, and I know I won’t be able to eat all of those leftovers myself!