(Closed) Please give me advice on this job interview situation…

posted 5 years ago in Career
  • poll: What would you do?
    Tell them about your availability BEFORE the interview. : (2 votes)
    4 %
    Tell them about your availability DURING the interview. : (29 votes)
    64 %
    Tell them about your availability if you're offered the job. : (14 votes)
    31 %
  • Post # 3
    9688 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

    @bailey12:   Still take the interview, but mention to the interviewer that you wouldn’t be able to start work until after returning from your honeymoon.  If they want you for the job they’ll wait without any problem.  Don’t stress too much and good luck!

    Post # 4
    2299 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

    absolutely take the interview and totally wow them!

    let them know that there is a slight issue with availability – but that you’d be there june 3 at 9:00 (or whatever) ready to start and that perhaps you could catch up on weekends/webinars/stay late a few nights etc. proposing solutions minimizes the issue and shows that you are proactive and taking initiative 🙂

    be flexible, accomodating and eager! in short, make them want to make it work! good luck!

    Post # 7
    1009 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

    I wouldn’t say anything until actually offered the job.  You want to wow them with how great you are, and make them want you so much that they are willing to make accomodations.  Not look for reasons not to hire you.  If someone I was interviewing mentioned issues with the start date, that would come off as a bit presumptuous imho.  But that’s just me.

    Post # 9
    1999 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

    @bailey12:  I hope I’m not suggesting something completely outrageous but… Have you considered cutting your honeymoon short? Would that be an option for you? 

    Post # 11
    7686 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

    @bailey12:  Since you know this position has a specific start date, I would not wait until they offer the job to mention the possible conflict. If I were the hiring manager, that would totally piss me off. “You knew the start date and let us waste all this time?!” What would not piss me off is if at the end of the interview (after they love you) you asked “is there any flexibility with the start date? I’ll be out of the state/country/town until 6/2 and I want to be sure I understand your expectations if you should offer me the position.” If they say “no, it’s absolutely 5/30” you should be prepared to say either “That’s good to know. If you decide I’m the right candidate, I’ll be prepared to start on 5/30.” OR “Unfortunately, I’ll have to withdraw my application then, and hope you’ll consider me for future positions.”

    What a sucky position — sounds like a great opportunity, but why does it have to be THEN? Good luck, and knock ’em dead!

    Post # 12
    1999 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

    @bailey12:  Oh, I completely understand, travelling is so expensive! And it is your honeymoon. 

    What Daisy Mae said sounds like a great way to handle the interview. I really hope you get the job AND the entire honeymoon. Fingers crossed! 

    Post # 13
    4495 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

    I would tell them during the interview. I think if you wait until you’re offered the job they’re going to think you kind of “scammed” them on purpose. You obviously know when your honeymoon is since its so close so its not like you can say you didn’t know or didn’t have it planned yet. Personally I’d feel like kind of an ass doing that. Fiance is going to an interview for a new job on Friday and he is planning to mention our 2 week honeymoon thats this October. I’ve done this before with jobs/internships and they always seemed to appreciate me being straight forward about it.


    Post # 14
    1177 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

    If they ask you during the interview, obviously you have to tell them. But if you filled out their application and gave an accurate start date, and they chose to interview you anyway, then maybe they already know?

    Also – in your place I would def consider cutting short the honeymoon if offered the job. It sounds like it would have a bit positive impact on your financial situation for the next year, which is no small thing. 

    Post # 15
    2556 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

    Take the interview and either bring it up during the interview, if the topic happens to occur or tell them after they offer you the job.  Don’t not take the interview because of it – if they want you, they’ll make it work!  It’s only a few days, anyway.  Good luck!

    The topic ‘Please give me advice on this job interview situation…’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors