There is another thread about wedding regrets, so I will copa pasta my entry from that thread here.
None of the following ruined our wedding is ANY way, but I would have changed :
– DJ, while I think that some weddings need them, as it turned out, my family isn’t that huge on dancing. They mingled more than anything so I could have just saved the $600 I spent on a dj. He was a really great DJ, but I wish I would have had used an Ipod.
– Not checking on the heat in the reception building. We had people from california [DH’s family] who were FREEZING the entire time, they kept jacking up the heat until it was almost 90 degrees in the building. It was SO hot, our cake started melting – we actually had to do the cake cutting an hour in advance because we noticed it was melting.
– Bathroom baskets – not because I don’t think they are adorable, I really do, and I still love the idea, HOWEVER – my Aunt decided she was going to loot the baskets [she even went into the mens!] and take all the “good stuff” home for herself. I’m not kidding, it’s the first thing she did. Many of my friends and family asked her wtf she was doing, and her reply was “someone told me I could”. Nobody told her that, she’s full of shit. The flip flop basket was a HUGE hit and I’m super glad I did that!
– This isn’t a regret, but we weren’t able to have our ceremony on the lawn. Everything was still beautiful but there was a lot of lawn decor that we didn’t use at all, but had purchased previously. Items like my homemade yard signs, rice toss bags, crystal flower balls, shepherds hooks, a white wedding tent, flower petals, ect never got used once.
– Late night snack, once again, love the idea, but it didn’t work so well in the end for us. The weather was unseasonably terrible [icy and snowy!] so many of ours guests left early that we didn’t even get to the late night snack. The leaving early didn’t bother us, we were happy to leave early, too – as we were exhausted.
– Having too many people “helping”. We decorated the building the day before, which was fine, but SO many people kept dropping by and I have really bad social anxiety. I ended up having to take 2 xanax otherwise I would have had a freakout.
– Purchasing Uplighting – once again, I don’t think this is a BAD idea, but we never got to use the uplighting we spent almost $400 on [probably close to $600 counting extension cords]. There wasn’t enough grounded plugins to plug all of them in [16 of them]. So now we’re sitting on a bunch of uplighting that I have NO idea what to do with.
– I wish I would have waited to purchase things after we got the RSVP’s back. We purchased everything outright [linens, decor, chair covers, sashes, ect] and based it on 100 people. We had 45 show up, so we have TONS of leftover things to sell.
– Cocktail hour.. it was kind of a waste. People were coming up to us during formals asking when they could go to the reception venue. People ate, but they didn’t mingle much.
– Hiring an attendant for the photo booth, once again – wasted money. I could have just left the camera on the table, people were having a ball taking turns with the camera.
– My dress wasn’t quite as fitted as I wanted.. I had to keep pulling it up to smooth it out, and I forgot to do so pretty often.
– I regret with the seamstress we chose for DH’s tux [our Groomsmen, FOB and bridesmaid also went there]. We had dropped off his pants in july for a hem, and we had to pick them up on the MORNING of the wedding. Same with the Bridesmaid or Best Man dress, and FOB/GM pants. It was awful, I can’t believe it took her so long to hem a pair of freaking pants.
– I regret not holding my own money bag from the dollar dance. We had it set up to where the Bridesmaid or Best Man and Groomsmen hold the bag/hat, and send people in. Well, somehow $100 came up missing [we know because DH’s grandmother gave us each $100 to dance with us, and we only had 1 $100 bill, instead of two]. I don’t know who did it, and I don’t care that much. But still, kind of a crappy thing to do.
– I forgot to grab my garter so we never did a garter toss. Darling Husband also forgot to put on his cufflinks.
– not having someone fill the water pitchers on the tables.. they were empty!
– Hay Bale Area / Cigar Bar – because it was snowing, we obviously werent able to have the fire pit/outdoor smoking area. We have TONS of items leftover from that, and TONS of cigars. The men still enjoyed the cigars here and there, but the weather pretty much screwed us on it.
On the other hand, things I’m super happy we did :
– I’m glad I was a DIY bride, we saved so much and everything looked fabulous
– I’m glad we hired a bartender.. we supplied all of the alcohol and brought in someone to mix drinks. He did fabulous and I’m super excited.
– I’m glad I chose the dj, photographer & catering I did. They all charged very fair prices for the work we received. Our dj even sent me a list of every song he used for the ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner & reception so I can burn a disk of our wedding songs!
– Wrote our own ceremony, and had it the way we liked it – also our officiant was fantastic, so glad I chose her.
– We wrote our own vows, and printed them on sheets which we used in the ceremony, I didn’t care at the time about printing them out, but now that I have them, I plan to put them in a keepsake shadow box and I LOVE that idea.
– Super glad I went to costco for flowers, saved tons and still have beautiful flowers.
– While I’m super happy we had a candy buffet, my aunt [once again] ravaged the thing, to the point where she was trying to take home the actual VASES with candy in them. We had plates for eating things there, and boxes for taking home, there was no reason for this. I kind of wish I didn’t invite her at all.