All of my regrets are minor and I had a wonderful wedding day, but, if we’re bringing it up…
– I regret my choice of nail color. I’m REALLY into doing my nails with fancy designs and jewels and whatnot and I got a very boring manicure done, not like me AT ALL and I hate the way they look in photos (like i’m sick or something). The nail tech I had didn’t want to put tips on my nails and I wanted longer nails for a nicer look. I wish I’d been more firm and insisted.
– I regret going to get my nails done with the girls the night before the wedding instead of a day or two before. It took us FOUR HOURS to get all of our nails done and I still had shit to do for the wedding the next day. I hadn’t eaten and we didnt get home til 8:30 and by then, I’d lost my appetite
– I regret not getting all my shit done earlier – the night before I was in tears (from stress) in my bedroom putting together the slideshow for the next night. We’d talked it up so much that I didn’t feel like I could just forget about it. Awful way to spend the night before the wedding.
– I regret some of my bridal party choices. My one friend had a new baby and she was really distracted and basically MIA the whole night. I wish she’d taken me up on my offer to bring the babe to the wedding so she could enjoy herself with babe and not stress out [we had a no children wedding but I was happy to make an exception for babes in arms/babes who were breastfeeding, she was the only one]. My Maid/Matron of Honor kind of screwed off at the ceremony to be with her bf; my other Bridesmaid or Best Man stepped up to the plate… she really should have been my Maid/Matron of Honor, all she wanted was for me to have a perfect day and she handled all the issues without me even knowing it. She recently told me she was hurt when she saw I’d picked my other friend as Maid/Matron of Honor and I feel horrible, probably my very biggest regret from the day.
– I regret the photographer choice. We thought we had a good one but the family portraits are all AWFUL, they were rushed and none of them are printable. The photographers stressed me out the most, they were rushing us and me and in retrospect, I didnt appreciate it. There was no need, I’m the bride, if I’m half an hour late then everyone has to wait. (not that I wanted people to wait, but don’t rush me when we’ve got time)
– I regret not eating more!! I ate half my breakfast, nothing for lunch (and I felt bad that the girls didnt eat because I couldn’t get my shit together and pull the food out of the fridge) and I barely ate dinner. I had no alcoholic drinks, just water all night long. I do regret not drinking; my parents basically insisted that it was inappropriate for me to drink too much at the wedding so I felt like I couldn’t enjoy myself and I drank nothing alcoholic.
– I regret letting the photographers put the “I do” stickers on my shoes for a photo op… I almost fell on my ass during my dance with my dad because the jewels slipped on the floor – they put them ON TOP of the no slip grips I had on my shoes and it totally fucked with my balance
– I regret not being more specific about photos. I didn’t get a single photo with each of my bridesmaids individually, which I would have really liked to have. I also didnt get a single photo of me and my mom or just me and my dad, which would have also been great. Fuck that photographer… I thought they’d have more vision – they had none.
– I regret paying for a dessert table on top of the dessert they had. I got it into my head that there was no dessert… yeah there was. And we had SO much food, so much went to waste, the late night fare and the dessert table. Much of it was donated to a local shelter but still… money down the drain.
– I regret not being more specific about where decor went. Our guestbook was supposed to be a framed page with our names and the wedding date. The venue displayed it standing up so no one knew to sign it. Thankfully I also had a backup guestbook and people signed that instead. But it was a $60 piece of paper that ended up in the garbage.
All in all, things that I’ll forget in the coming months and years and down the road, I probably won’t remember ANY of these things (except the photographer, cause those family photos piss me off). But it feels cathartic to write it all down in one place!