Please tell me a $20,000 Honeymoon Fund/Home remodel is NOT normal??

posted 2 years ago in Beehive
Post # 46
8858 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

sandra12345 :  I would not say “register or I’m not throwing it” because they sound greedy enough to register for stupid stuff and then return everything for cash. Are you ballsy enough to turn it back on them and try to embarass them out of it? Like “You were serious? You know people are going to give you money for the wedding yet you’re asking me to shake them down for more at a shower? Come on, you can’t mean that. I’m not willing to be part of that.” TBH, I couldn’t take that approach, but if you can it might be effective.

A slightly less in-your-face way could be to say “You’re already asking people for money for the wedding. I’m not comfortable throwing a party to ask for more money so I won’t be hosting any showers.” If they push back or try to argue, go with the broken record technique: just keep repeating the same thing: “I’m not going to host any showers.” Don’t bother giving reasons or excuses because these type of people will just keep wheedling and arguing. Broken record: “I’m not going to host any showers.”

Post # 48
333 posts
Helper bee

Extremely tacky. I knew a bride who invited close to 350 people to her wedding. The next morning she texted me upset because she “only” got $21,000 in gifts when that didn’t even cover food expenses ($24,000). Weddings arent an investment. I dont think some people will ever be happy. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors