(Closed) PLZ HELP!!!

posted 9 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
25 posts

Yes, you can marry in a church outside your faith.

They may have certain requirements, however, like wanting you to attend service at their church a few times before your ceremony.  Not to mention any pre-marriage counseling with their pastor.

You should contact the church for specifics on what they require.

Post # 4
347 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

The presbyterian church will allow you to marry there.  However, the Catholic Church will not recognize your marriage unless you marry according to the laws of the Church.  Canon Law requires that all Catholics marry in the Catholic Church according to the Catholic form and witnessed by a Catholic priest or deacon.  We’re also technically required by Canon Law to marry other Catholics, but Canon Law does give room for permission to be granted to marry non-Catholic Christians, provided that the partner agrees to not interfer with raising the children Catholic.  We can also get a dispensation to marry non-baptized people.   There are other permissions and despensations that allow to some limited degree for non-Catholics to have their weddings held at other locations.  These permissions must be granted if you wish to have a valid marriage and to continue practicing your Catholic faith.  I have seen some people mentioning that they’re getting a convalidation after their wedding.  However, the intent behind a convalidation is to help people who left the faith to return to practicing the faith. As usual people always look for loop holes in the law.

My advise to you is go to your parish priest and inform him of the situation.  Canon Law insists that the official witness be the Catholic priest or deacon and not the minister of the other denomination.  You would thus have to be given permission to have it in the presbyterian church, but it would not be able to be a prebyterian service.  If you want the presbyterian minister to assist, he will likely be able to assist in readings and perhaps a separate prayer and blessing to wish you a happy marriage.  You will also likely be required to go through the diocese’s marriage prep requirements, and your priest and the pastor of the presbyterian church have to be willing to work together with the prebyterian minister. 

In all liklihood, your priest will be very happy to help you through the process.

The topic ‘PLZ HELP!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors