(Closed) Poll – Not seeing your fi/husband for a year for $100,000g. Would you do it?

posted 6 years ago in Military
  • poll: If your fi/husband deploys for one year, he will come back with $100,000.
    I want him to deploy. : (60 votes)
    17 %
    I do NOT want him to deploy. : (284 votes)
    83 %
  • Post # 3
    2214 posts
    Buzzing bee

No way. I would rather have my SO unemployed, home, and living just off my salary alone than get $100k after a year of not seeing him. And if my SO is working, then his salary isn’t too far from that anyway. Not to mention the danger. I couldn’t handle that. I really don’t know how military wives do.

Post # 4
    9550 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

That much distance and time can be really really hard on a couple. And going to war can be really hard on a person, which makes it hard when you come back to a relationship. And there’s the whole danger issue. I made it very clear to my fiance before we were engaged that I did not want to be a military wife. Just not for me. On the other hand I know some families that it works great. Just depends on the family, I guess. But I wouldn’t recommend doing it just for hte money. Too big a risk all around.

Post # 6
    540 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I don’t mind a few weeks, but not an entire year. My answer is no.

Post # 7
    328 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I don’t think this is a fair poll. If my husband was not in the military then I would never ever take the money, I’d rather him be home. But since he is, I have no choice, I can’t keep him from deploying, it isn’t a personal choice for him, that isn’t even about the money. 

Post # 8
    563 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2013

Is he contracting with something like or may be blackwater? If so, no. I wouldn’t.

Post # 9
    8042 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

@mrsbzzbee:  Hell no. Not for a million $$. There are easier ways to earn money.

Post # 10
    Hostess
    7561 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2013

Is it his choice? 

Post # 11
    2295 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I mean… does he have a choice? If he’s in the military and his unit is deploying, usually they don’t have a lot of choice, do they?

If it was a private security gig or something, no, I wouldn’t want to make that choice for us. But it also depends on his prospects at home. If he had no job options at home, was depressed about it and really wanted to be working, and if our annual average income was $30k – well $100k in a year really changes that picture for us. It might be worth it.

If he has a good job option at home, is happy here, and our household income is over $70k, well $100k doesn’t change the equation THAT much. I wouldn’t do it.

In my situation, I wouldn’t choose it. But I can see lots of situations where it wouldn’t even be an option to say no or where it really was the right choice for him/the family. People do it all the time, we could make it work. It would be a hardship, but just because I wouldn’t choose it in my situation doesn’t mean there aren’t situations where I think it might be the best choice.

Post # 13
    9201 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

I would do it if were a different job than the military, probably – but the time/distance PLUS the risks of death, injury, PTSD, etc etc would scare me off.  I know that women whose husbands who are in the military usually don’t have a choice though  🙁

Post # 14
    328 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

@mrsbzzbee:  Then I wouldn’t want him to go. Are there other factors to him wanting to go? Units are like a brotherhood, they rely on one another through thick and thin and maybe he wants to go to be there with his soldiers. I can understand why he would want to go but I sure as heck wouldn’t want him to, especially for a year! 

Post # 15
    378 posts
    Helper bee

been there, done that, and never again will I allow it to happen again. My husband is in the reserves and volunteered to go to Afghanistan before we met. We spent the first year of our relationship apart and I told him that I would never ever let him leave to some place dangerous like that again. He has no interest in ever going back and has a different career in mind but I could not handle the thought of going through that experience again for any amount of money. Ever.

Post # 16
    3357 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I say FTS.

The topic ‘Poll – Not seeing your fi/husband for a year for $100,000g. Would you do it?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors