- 12 years ago
- Wedding: December 1969
What I am expecting of my Maid/Matron of Honor:
– to show up on the day of the wedding, wearing a dress (she’ll pick it out and pay for it, but it is completely her choice and will likely be off the rack somewhere, as she doesn’t have to match anyone else and I made it clear that it should be something she wants to/is able to wear again)
– learn how to bustle my dress and help with this between the ceremony and reception
– to attend the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner the day before
– to attend the spa morning prior to the rehearsal (optional, my treat)
What my fabulous Maid/Matron of Honor is actually doing (beyond the list above):
– throwing a couples shower (potluck, at my request, to keep costs down)
– helping with wedding projects (I’ve been throwing crafting parties where I provide drinks and food and invite a close group of friends to craft – completely their choice to attend or not, no expectations)
– getting her hair done (again, completely optional – I didn’t think she’d want to do it, due to expense, but she wanted to, so I made all the appointments)
– staying at the inn with the rest of the wedding party and guests the night before the wedding (her choice, but I did pull strings to get her a reasonably cheap room for one night only, despite a 2-night minimum)
Overall, I’ve been completely blown away by the amount of love, support and willingness to help on the part of my Maid/Matron of Honor and other close friends. I did not expect any help from anyone (other than my mom, who has been amazing), but when I found out people were interested, I have invited them to participate, always trying to make sure to feed them, make it fun and be flexible as possible.
I’m the first one in our group to get married, so we’re all sorting this out as we go and so far, it’s going fairly well.