(Closed) POLL – Would you be offended by a cheap gift/no gift at all?

posted 4 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Would you be offended?
    I would be offended by no gift : (39 votes)
    19 %
    I would be offended by a cheap gift (i.e $5) : (8 votes)
    4 %
    I would be offended by both : (58 votes)
    28 %
    I would be offended by neither : (101 votes)
    49 %
  • Post # 61
    2864 posts
    Sugar bee

Yes, I would be offended with no gift to my wedding. I woldn’t care if it’s cheap but no gift at all? Yeah just no. And I would not show up to a friend’s wedding without a gift of some kind.

Post # 62
    2547 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

I think the whole “cover the cost of your plate” thing to be the tackiest the thing, pretty much, ever. The entitlement and complete lack of actual “hosting” involved just speaks of poor manners. The whole: I’m throwing a party for myself & expect my “guests” to pay for it. They’re not really guests if you’re expecting them to pay for their meal. They’re patrons. And if I’m paying $200 for a meal, it had better not be the generic slop served at most weddings. I want a full menu. And the ability to custom order my food (no sauce, extra mushrooms, whatever). I also would choose a place that had great ambiance (so, no cheap decor).

If someone  invited me to a wedding with the expectation that it was some sort of business transaction, I’d treat it as such. I’d expect a whole lot for my $400 (assuming I bring a date, which I would, of course, because I’m very unlikely to spend  $200 for dinner by myself).

The topic ‘POLL – Would you be offended by a cheap gift/no gift at all?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors