Post # 16
My first baby came at 39+3. Water broke (gushed, really) and the 20 minute drive to the hospital was not comfortable. I cannot imagine driving 1.5 hours like that or delivering in a completely unfamiliar hospital in another town.
I would decline.
Post # 17
I would have really wanted to go. But I think I’d have declined.
I had my son at 38+6 so would have had a 4 day old baby by that point.
i had my daughter at 40+2 but I have very quick labours so although I was late with number 2 the 1.5 hr drive would have scared me.
Post # 18
I would not go and I would have Darling Husband decline to be best man. What if you have the baby a day or two before the wedding? What if you’re in labour during the wedding? Your husband should choose you.
Post # 19
my friend came to another friend’s wedding a week past her due date lol. Obviously she made that call the day of and the bride was very excited that she was able to make it. It was also 1.5 hours away from her hospital but there was a very good hospital close by in the event of an emergency. She was induced a few days later and all was well.
This woman was a bridesmaid and they had been very very close friends for 30 years. I don’t think she would have done it for just anyone, but everyone was glad it worked out so well.
Post # 20
I don’t think I would take the chance. But of course I’m biased because I work at a hospital NICU where the majority of the babies are premies. While most women can technically go into labor at any time, I’d be concerned going that close to my due date.
Post # 21
I’d plan to go. Obviously, they will be aware that there is a possibility that you won’t make it. But these people are close enough to want your husband as best man so I would try and make the effort. Obviously you could go into labour earlier but most first time mums go past their due date and have longer labours.
I don’t see the point in putting your life on hold waiting for labour. If you have to cancel on something because you’re having a baby people will understand. If when the time comes you just don’t feel up to travel could your husband go by himself?
Post # 22
Yes, I’d plan on going, but also let them know the situation and that you’ll clearly have to reevaluate closer to the time. You may have the baby by then and just not feel up to going, you may be on bed rest due to who knows what, you may be trucking along just fine…you’re way too far out to even guess what the situation will be. If they need a 100% absolute answer, then say no. Otherwise, do you want to go? There’s a decent chance that you’ll be able to attend just fine. Just pack the car with supplies and clearly have the hospital bag and carseat with you.
Post # 23
Both of my kids were born at 37w, but since I couldn’t have known in advance that they would be, I’d have skipped the wedding. Also, you might want to check with your insurance – mine wouldn’t have covered any part of the birth if I’d traveled more than an hour away from my hospital in the last four weeks of the pregnancy and had to deliver elsewhere.
Post # 24
I wouldn’t go, first pregnancies are so unpredictable. My waters broke 11 days before my due date so you could easily end up having your baby before the wedding. The thought of my waters breaking at a wedding is just awful (they didn’t just break once but I continued leaking fluid every 10 minutes for the next 6 hours!). Even if you were still pregnant, that close to your due date you will be feeling very uncomfortable and a 1.5 hour car journey might make you a little anxious. For your husband I bet he would hate to accept being best man then not be able to show up on the day (he might feel pressure to go even if you can’t then you could be left alone in early labor).
Send a nice gift and maybe take your friends out early so that you can still celebrate together.
This is also very true about insurance!
Post # 25
Hmmm probably not. My water broke at 38+6 with my first baby and I would not have wanted to be dealing with that situation 1.5 hrs away from home/my hospital. If it was closer sure.
Post # 26
If I had to make a decision by the RSVP deadline I’d decline. If they were willing to let me decide the day before I’d likely attend as long as I was feeling well and my doc didn’t think the birth was imminent.
Will your hubs remain as best man?
Post # 27
This is a 1000% hard no. Honestly I cant believe ANYONE voted yes. Maybe they didn’t read the part about traveling 1.5 hours away. This would be entirely crazy to do unless you don’t mind having a baby in some other random town. (Which may be a huge insurance problem too. My delivery cost $30k with no complications except a c-section and I wouldn’t risk paying for that out of pocket.) I went into labor 3 days before my due date after being completely sure I’d go past my due date. It came out of nowhere. Not to mention, I was pretty uncomfortable bordering on miserable for the last couple weeks of my pregnancy, and I had an easy happy healthy one. Just no. Noooooo!
Post # 28
Also sorry but your hubs can’t be best man, unless the couple is cool with him maybe missing their wedding, or you are cool with him maybe missing your baby’s birth or first day in the hospital. (Which I’d advise against, cause if you have a c-section like I had to, you’re stuck in bed and can’t attend to the baby.)
Post # 29
Would and did. Wedding was Saturday, I delivered the following Tuesday. I felt like a beached whale.
Post # 30
if you feel upto it. Then go and enjoy yourself. However if nearer the time your struggling then no. I would ask your friends to re think having your hubby as best man to, in case your in hospital.