- 8 years ago
- Wedding: May 2010
Making a pomander:
1. We satrted by ordering large sheet of tissue paper in bulk and cutting them down to size. Our rectangles were approx 10″x 5 “. We ordered our tissue from papermart.com. We used three different shades of purple to create depth. Once you get the tissue cut I cut floral wire into approx 4” pieces.
2. Stack 4 sheets of tissue alternating the color that is on top. SO you have an even distribution of color. Then fold the stacked tissue back and forth like a fan in approx a 3/8″ fold.
3. Fold one of your pre-cut wires in half and wrap it tightly around the center of the tissue paper. The trim up the sides. For mine I rounded the ends, some people cut them to a point. (since I did not take a pic of this step here is an attempt to draw it.)
4. Once the wire is secure spread out the folds on either side f the wire. I find this really helps with fluffing. Then pull each layer of tissue up individually using the twisted wire below to steady the flower.
Each individual flower looks like this. It is ALWAYS nice to have a fiancee who will bring you canned champagne to sip while you work!
4. Using a 5″ styrofoam ball you are almost ready to stary securing flowers. I start by wrapping a wire approx 6″ in length around a ribbon. This is what I used to hang the pomander so the length of that ribbon is personal preference. Next I took a toothpick and punctured the styrofoam ball. I place some hot glue in the hole I created with the tooth pick and pressed the wire attached to the ribbon into the ball, with the knot nearest to the styrofoam. It helps to make the puncture with the toothpick so the wire doesn’t bend when you try to push it in. This is olny nessesary on the ribbon as you need to handle to be stronger.
5. Hole each individual flower by the petals and place a small amount of hot glue at the base of the petals near the wire and press the flower into the styrofoam. Keep securing each flower into the pomander until all of the foam is covered. We put our flowers very tight together because we thought it made them look a lot fuller. Each pomandes took a full paper gorcery bag full of tissue flowers to complete.
This is the finished product:
Let me know if you have any questions. I hope this helps!