(Closed) Post a thon 7/28/10

posted 8 years ago in Weddingbee
Post # 3
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Yay for Post a thon!

As for the moving tips, make sure you clearly label boxes with things that you are going to need right away (dishes, utensils, etc).  We couldn’t find our dishes for weeks!

Post # 4
2058 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

YAY – – When we moved we numbered all the boxes. Each number corresponded with a room. We then made photo copies of the log and gave them to each person assisting with the unload.  Once we began unloading it went pretty well – not too many questions asked and not too many errors made.  The dishes made it to the kitchen and the clothes made it to a bedroom – maybe not the correct bedroom but to bedrooms, LOL

Post # 5
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Ah no! That’s during the Toronto Bee meet up! Hopefully I can join when I get home!

Post # 6
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

Moving is such a pain! Having some kind of organized system for which boxes go where in the house is ESSENTIAL. I didn’t do this the first time I moved. My boxes of hardcover books/textbooks were left in the living room, and I tried to carry them upstairs to the office. Well, my back didn’t like that at all.

Post # 7
1280 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

good luck mrs. DG! how exciting! seattle to SLC must be a big change. i’ve never done an interstate move (except for college, which doesn’t necessarily count), but even moving from one borough in NYC to another (which i’ve done 4 times within the last 5 years) can seem monumental and wrought with disaster!

i couldn’t agree with boston bee’s advice more, though! and i’d also add that one needs to firmly impress upon movers the importance and meaning of the word “fragile,” despite whatever clause is in the contract about fragile items. fortunately they were cheap and replaceable, but out movers destroyed at least 10 of our drinking/wine glass collection upon our last move. not cool!

Post # 8
5498 posts
Bee Keeper

Bummer! I think I’ll be working most of the time, but I will chime in once I get home! = )

Post # 9
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

Yay, post a thon! We’re in the middle of moving too, so I could use a break from packing and painting!

Post # 10
458 posts
Helper bee

I will be attending said post-a -thon, we’re about to move as well! Congrats!

Post # 12
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

@Mrs. DG: Just a new home! We can actually see the new place from our current place, haha. It’s just much bigger and NOT an apt (finally!)

Post # 13
1487 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@MrsDG-I just number my boxes, and then label each with only the room the box goes to.  Then, I keep a master list in a moving folder with box contents.  It made it easier to find specific things I knew I would be looking for once I moved, so, for example, if I wanted to find my coffee pot, I knew it would be in box 19, and I wouldn’t have to open up all of the kitchen boxes.

Plus, if you’re not using friends and family for the move, it helps cut down on the potential for theft–someone is a lot less likely to open up a box that says “Living Room” than a box that says DVDs 🙂

The topic ‘Post a thon 7/28/10’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors