Post # 1
Was just wondering if anyone else is or was in my position of TTC after chemo. My husband had 6 rounds RCHOP in 2015. In October 2016 we found out his sperm had come back after chemo. In December we got pregnant naturally and in February we found out the baby no longer had a heartbeat so I opted for a d&c. Because the missed miscarriage is known to be a chromosomal issue, I’m debating whether or not to skip trying again naturally and use what we had banked. We didn’t have much time to bank (1 week) before he had to start chemo so our resources are extremely limited. There isn’t a whole lot of data available on my particular situation and his doctor told him he didn’t know much about it but thought it was ok to try naturally but that it was obviously good that we had banked some. Looking for advice from someone who has been through something similar to this…Thanks!
Post # 2
I’m so sorry for your loss. My thoughts: I’m 6 weeks pregnant after infertility (we did IVF twice and for us, it’s either a chromosomal egg issue or sperm issue, can’t determine further)- unless someone suggested otherwise, I would save what you have banked and continue trying. 1 miscarriage could be bad luck. I would hesitate unless you are sure the sperm is the issue to use up what you have on a few shots. I would also have his sperm tested to the fullest extent possible. If the sperm is the issue, you may want to consider IVF. You will then (hopefully) have a bunch of embryos frozen instead of using all the sperm and end up with nothing via IUI (70% chance vs 15-20%)
Post # 3
Agreed, if you don’t have much sperm frozen I would save it for IVF in case you need it. I would also second having his (current) sperm tested in every way possible to see if any abnormalities can be identified. I’m so so sorry about your husband and your MMC – what a tough time. Wishing you the best of luck.
Post # 4
Thank you and congratulations!!!!
Thank you both for your guidance. You’re right. As much as it would suck to go through the loss again, it beats the alternative of running out of options by using the sperm too soon. Will definitely have it analyzed further before we start TTC again when we get back from our honeymoon in April.
Post # 5
Personally, I’d probably try to get pregnant naturally one more time. If you had another loss with a chromosomal issue, then I’d consider IVF. I fully agree with the other ladies and I would not waste one sperm on IUI.
I know how hard losses are. Hugs and I’m sorry you are going through this!
Post # 7
I am sorry for your loss! I am in a simular situation as you as my husband has had chemo. I 100% agree with the other bees. If you decide to use what you banked do IVF. My husbands sperm counts are too low to conceive naturally so we tried 5 IUIs (with his current sperm if that makes sense) All BFN accept 1 ectopic which they assured me it wasnt related to the chemo. MY RE told me that even same sex couples using healthy sperm and have no issues themelves only have a 25% chance conceiving with IUI. So if you only have limited sperm banked I would fo the IVF route since the succes rates are much higher. We are actually going to start IVF this summer with DH banked sperm. I dont know how long you have been ttc naturally but you could perhaps try naturally and see what happens. It may not be a chromosome issue. Can your husband get his sperm checked for this? Unfortunately mc are common so it may have nothing to do with the chemo. Sending prayes your way and wishing you the best of luck!