(Closed) Post wedding advice needed!

posted 7 years ago in Military
Post # 3
289 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Welcome to the military! Your husband will need to accompany you to get your ID (I’m not sure the name of the office that takes care of this, but it’s generally in the same area where you’d find the Family Readiness Center). Once you get it, you will automatically be put into DEERS. After, you can then call TRICARE (health insurance) and be upgraded to TRICARE PRIME for free. Ask there if you need a decal for your car, but as far as I know most bases only require your ID to enter nowadays. 

Post # 4
2496 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

I think June Bug got it all correct.  Although, I know I can go get my ID with him still in basic training, but I don’t know if that’s only because he can’t accompany me.  I also know he had to enroll me in DEERS.

For registering your car, I know you need insurance, registration, and your license.  Anybody at the main gate could direct you to where to register your car.

Are you moving to a base?  I have heard that usually you get a welcome packet from the base with information about who to call, resources, etc. on that particular base.

Post # 5
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Hey!! I hope I can help, we got married on leave too, and he had to go back over to Iraq before we could get it all settled, so this is what we did:

First I changed my name on everything; drivers license, SS card, everything.. You’ll need your SS card to get your ID.. Then he sent me a POA that specifically stated that I had the authority to go get my ID and enroll in DEERS and Tricare and all that stuff without him.. So I went with my POA and my SS card and got my ID, and I asked the office what to do about Tricare. JJ gave me his information so that I could enroll in DEERS and become eligible online, and then I had a Tricare rep walk me through enrolling me in Prime and getting me a primary care physician.. So it was a process, and it took a few months mostly because it took so darn long to get his POA, but I was able to do it on my own.. I hope that helps!! And if you want to know anything else, don’t hesitate to ask, we’re in similar situations so I’d love to help, especially if I’ve forgotten anything!!

ETA:  I went to the ID office at the nearest AFB by me (JJ is Army, but I called ahead of time and asked how it all worked), and I’m not sure about the decal, I haven’t gotten to that part yet, but I know Fort Hood requires one (where I’m moving to) and I’m sure that you could just ask someone at the main gate and they’ll know..

Post # 6
2907 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@June Bug:There is an office of transport that deals with all vehicle issues– you have to go there to get your decal.


Also don’t forget to ask your husband to fill out the forms for SGLI (I think it’s at IPAC?)

The topic ‘Post wedding advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors