- 5 months ago
- Wedding: City, State
Just got married this past week and am still processing that it’s all over! Overall, we did have some hiccups like everyone told us there would be, but things also turned out much better than I expected. Nothing was a total disaster! For bees still in planning, all of the guests told me they would never have guessed and didn’t notice anything!
Please feel free to share your experiences and what you were surprised by! I reposted in “Recap” section. 😀
- My bridal party was amazing at helping us with last minute panic moments, could not have done without them (transporting things, finding people, helping dress change, etc.)
- Venue coordinator who did my setup really nailed it!!
- Food was great and open bar was a hit (bonus: consumption tab was 1K less than expected)
- Pictures turned out gorgeous even though I had to switch and pick a different photographer last minute (but best decision ever)
- DIY flowers from Sam’s Club worked out very well, had plenty extra and they were so vibrant and full
- People really danced all night!
- SO and I had a lot of fun and got to talk to all of our 110 guests
- I felt like a diva for doing it but so happy I had 3 dresses (ceremony, traditional outfit, and comfortable dancing dress)
- Parents got seated on wrong side so they couldn’t see son/daughter’s face during ceremony
- Sister ran off with bouquets right before first look, miscommunications caused 30 minute delay for photos
- Forgot part of our traditional costume jacket at hotel, delayed schedule another 30 minutes (thankfully meal was being served)
- Glass item on sweetheart table fell and shattered
- Layout was too spaced out for 110 people (ballroom fit up to 350)
- Photobooth barely use partially due to layout and was not close to where cocktail hour was stationed
- First dance, my bustle came out, we were both tripping over dress train
What I would do different:
- Make sure parent seats are indicated even if rest of party no sides (confirm with venue – they were the ones misdirecting!)
- Rehearse first dance and vows more
- Make sure the DJ/MC is the right fit (ours didn’t read our info, didn’t even realize our best man was a woman but it was written by names)
- Not do DIY flowers – I loved them and think they turned out really well, but it was not worth the stress of transporting and worrying whether they would overbloom or brown too early
- Mention on website no registry, but give option for honeymoon/house fund (we already bought). I thought spelling it out was a little crass but I got more than a few questions about this, so in hindsight probably better to have it.
- Give away centerpieces earlier. SO had suggested this and by end of night I was also a fan of this, sucked having to pack everything back up and transport!