- 8 years ago
- Wedding: August 2010
We had a great time at our wedding this weekend, but I have some recommendations for those still planning. These are things we didn’t do – I’ll post another list of things we did that ended up being great ideas. And I’ll post guest photos since our pro photos aren’t up yet.
(1) hem your dress shorter – mine was about an inch above the floor and didn’t show my shoes, and I stepped on it all night, especially when walking through the grass for photos, and while dancing
(2) allow more time than you think – we had a tight schedule all planned out and could have allowed more time for getting dressed (the girls got an hour) and photos. It all worked out fine but the band didn’t play that much and they were amazing, so we missed out on hearing them as much as we would have liked.
(3) With an outdoor wedding in the heat and the guys taking photos two hours before the ceremony a lot of the flowers (especially the boutonnieres) were beginning to wilt. Make sure to ask which flowers will be sturdier.
(4) We had a semi-DIY wedding and only had an hour to pack and get off the site – it took us an hour and a half. We should have assigned takes and had a lot more car space ready for packing.
(5) rehearse the entrances – our guitarist started and the first couple thought it was time to walk down the aisle so there was a bit of a scramble
(6) have a really detailed checklist – I forgot to bring a couple of the readings (fortunately people brought their own), and the glass of wine for the ceremony (my SIL ran and got one)
(7) have your groomsmen re-organize the tuxes if you have to return them – our groomsmen left us a big pile of tuxes, shirts, etc. to return this week and it was a real job to sort them out and make sure we had everything
(8) make sure there’s enough lighting if your wedding is outdoors and runs into the evening – I don’t know how photos of toasts (after sunset) will turn out and cleanup in the dark was hard