(Closed) Posting "anonymously": Am I being too concerned? (Long post)

posted 5 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
2651 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Call childline now. 

We’re supposed to call if ANYTHING makes you tilt your head and go ” should I report this?” The answer is always YES. 

Cps investigates to ensure the welfare of the child, if all is good then they don’t do anything. If all is not good then they go from there. 

also if someone elce calls child line and investigation occurs you could lose your job/ end up with jail time for failing to report.  Call them, if olny to cover your own ass and then keep a documentation for your records

Post # 4
556 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@appleblossoms:  This is a tricky one. As a teacher of young children in an impoverished area, I see similar issues all the time. Its so difficult to know when to report a problem to CPS and when not to. Based solely on the bite marks, I would probably report her to CPS. It doesn’t really sound normal to be “covered” in them. It sounds excessive. In any case, it sounds like this parent may be getting involved in drugs or something. It definitely sounds like something is going on. For your own peace of mind, you may want to call CPS and let them investigate.

Post # 5
1471 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I agree. Your job is to report. Theirs is to determine whether or not to investigate, and then to do so. I understand your hesitation, it took me awhile to get up the nerve to call the first time, but eventually, the guy knew me by name, haha. In fact, he knew me so well that he once called me to ask about one of my students who someone else had reported on. I told him “you know me, I call with any suspicion, and I don’t have one here.”

Post # 7
9181 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

I agree – I would call.  If things are actually ok, yeah, it’ll suck for the mom to go through the hassle of a CPS report – but that’s waaaaay better than a little kid living in utter filth and getting injuries!  :/

Post # 9
1471 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@appleblossoms:  We had to make a report this year on a little boy whose mom’s boyfriend was abusive. They determined that she was a young mother trying her best and provided her with resources. I’ve actually had parents I reported on thank me for doing so (not like that happens every time.)

I know it’s scary, but it’s important.

Post # 10
1090 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@appleblossoms:  I’m also a mandated reporter and I would defintitely call CPS

Post # 11
4687 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY

You need to call CPS. Now. If it’s not outright physical abuse you are noticing, it’s neglect. I’m a public school teacher and have had training in child abuse. The state trooper who conducted our last workshup say when humans start biting; ie, becoming supremely animalistic, is when the child is just a few days or weeks away from death.

Glad you’re calling!!

Post # 12
1966 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I would report it. You can always repott anonymously.

Post # 13
44 posts

I am also a teacher and had to make 3 calls in my first year. It is hard but as a mandated reporter, it has to be done. I also say that I rather call and have it be nothing than not call and have something worse happen. Any second you think something is off or weird – you call. Good for you for calling – I hope it all works out! 

Post # 14
141 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

Call! If there’s even a question about whether or not you should report it, the answer is always yes. Better to call and have it be nothing than find out later you could have helped to change this child’s life for the better.

Post # 15
11747 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

There isn’t a doubt in my mind that this is at the very least neglect. I’d call CPS to report the incident and they can determine if there’s any cause for concern.

Post # 16
2286 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: Central Park

This is straight up neglect and you should report them for child abuse. I would take photos as evidence.

The topic ‘Posting "anonymously": Am I being too concerned? (Long post)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors