Post # 1
Fiance and I started looking for a place to live several months ago, and we explored a variety of apartments and rental properties. He had a friend/coworker who was trying to rent out a house on the lake. The price was right, the lake was nice, and Fiance was very insistent on us going with this property and renting from his friend. I had some misgivings about renting from a friend and first-time landlord, but the price and the niceness of the house won me over.
As we are moving, I did not renew my lease on my current apartment. The plan was for me to move in in the beginning of June, and for Fiance to move in after the honeymoon in early July. Apparently, this friend/coworker put the house up on a for sale site yesterday just to see if he would get any bites, and lo and behold he did. He is now strongly considering selling it instead of renting it to us…2 months before we were supposed to move in. He called Fiance today to tell him, and Fiance was (imo) way too nice about it and told him that he should do what was he best business decision for him. The friend is going to take a day to think about it and let us know tomorrow.
I. Am. Livid. We were supposed to sign a contract on Friday, but the friend “forgot” to bring the papers. We now have 2 months to find a place to live, and I will only be in town 4 weekends between now and then (less than 15 days total). I want to cry, I am so nervous about finding another place. We could have had months to be looking and now we have to scramble. Fiance isn’t as upset as I am and doesn’t seem to see this as a big deal. I’m also mad because he was the one who was so insistent on going with this friend in the first place, and this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was worried about. I know that since nothing was signed and no money changed hands, we have no legal recourse. This situation just really sucks.
Idk what I’m really looking for–advice? Sympathy? Good outdoor tent recommendations? 🙁
Post # 2
I don’t know…..we moved to a new city and it was impossible to get landlord to call us back before 1 month before we wanted to move in. It was impossible to sign a lease more than a month before we were ready to move in. I do live in a landlord’s market, though. Even in my old city, I always found a new place within 1 month out.
I don’t think you would have been able to convince the flakey landlord to change his mind. Hopefully you’ll be able to find a new place ASAP!
Post # 3
liaeona: You have enough time to find a place to live! Just look at a lot of places in a few days and try to lock it down ASAP once you find a place that is suitable for you. I’m sorry that you’re going through this!
Post # 4
Ugh I feel for you. It’s so awkward for your Fiance since it’s a coworker, but…this coworker screwed you guys over. That’s why (like you said) I would never rent from a friend/coworker. 🙁
I don’t know if there’s anything you guys can do legally since you haven’t signed the lease. At this point if I were you, I would be in fix it mode (find anything we can). Are there any places that will do month to month or even short term/termporary leases while you look for another place?
I’m not in real estate so other people might have better advice, but I just wanted to say sorry you’re going through this. That is SUPER stressful.
Post # 5
It sucks that the friend backed out like that. It’s too bad there wasn’t a signed contract. Fortunately, I think you still have a reasonable amount of time to look for a new place. I doubt you’ll be homeless! Maybe you’ll find a home even better than your friend’s house!
Post # 6
The annoying part is that Fiance is being super picky about where he would live. He wants to stay downtown (unless we’re on a lake) but somehow not pay downtown prices. I really want to live in a house, not an apartment, and I don’t see why we need to stay downtown when we rarely walk anywhere and we could save so much money and get a nice place a little further out from the center. Most of the places in finding aren’t available until August or they’re disgusting inside or they are “too expensive” to Fiance (even though they’re still cheaper than our combined current rents). I swear he wants a place that doesn’t really exist. Ughhhh I’m in panic mode and I wont even be here to have a showing for another 3 weeks. I won’t even be here the week that my lease ends and my new lease begins. We were going to be able to get the other place a week or so early, and now I just have no idea what to do.
Post # 7
liaeona: Can you ask Fiance to find his top 3 choice by xx date and you can choose from that afterwards? That way both have voice in this.
Post # 8
liaeona: Where do you live? In Chicago (where I am) you can’t even look at places most of the time until the month before because people only have to give 30 days notice if they’re not renewing a lease. So it would be pointless to even try until the month before you want to move in.
Post # 9
Wow I’d be angry too! What an asshole (the friend not your FI) but bee, don’t worry you still have time to find a place! So even though I could totally pitch you some good tent recommendations (hehe see what I did there? Just couldn’t pass up the pun, okay I’m sorry I’ll stop!) considering I work for an outdoor/sporting goods company, I’m gonna hold off because I’m sure you two will figure something out! 🙂
Post # 10
Fiance isn’t as upset as I am and doesn’t seem to see this as a big deal.
Because it isn’t? Two months is more than enough time to find a new place.
Post # 11
liaeona: I would be livid too! Here in Boston it’s a huge pain in the butt to find an apartment that isn’t a September 1st move in so your situation would freak me out. HOWEVER, take a deep breath and tell your fiance he needs to compromise on price or location since you already did it his way once and you got screwed. Good luck Bee!
Post # 12
liaeona: if the friend/potential landlord was considering selling, you are much better off with him making that decision now, rather than after you had moved in. Would you have wanted to deal with realtors and potential buyer touring your home?
I rented many many apartments in different cities/states. 2 months is the absolute earliest you can start looking.
The only real, serious issue I see here is that you and your fiancé don’t appear to be on the same page about what you are looking for in a home. Based on this, and some of your previous posts he sounds stubborn and unwilling to compromise. IMO this is what you should be concerned about.
Post # 13
Ummm…2 months is more than enough time to find a rental property.
But then again, I live in new york.
Post # 14
2 months sounds like a reasonable amount of time to find a place. It’s a bummer you have to start house hunting again but it wouldn’t bother me that much if I were in our situation. Where I’m at most places work on 30 day notice so they don’t even know what apartments will be available more than a month out unless the residents choose to give more time.
Post # 15
In a lot of places, 2 months would be great. It’s tricky here because the vast majority of leases start August 15th, so places available in June are few and far between. I’m also just worried because I’m out of town so much, 4 weekends is not much time to work with. We started reaching out to a few places, and worst case scenario, I’m sure we can find a mediocre apartment to rent. It’s just a bummer to have to potentially settle for a year due to the time crunch.