(Closed) Potential Rain for Wedding this Weekend! What would you do?!

posted 4 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 2
1332 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Nomster:  Since you have til Saturday at noon, I would wait until the weather forecast is displayed (hourly with the percentage/odds) at 11:45am on Saturday to make the final call 🙂

If it is still 40% with patchy showers/clouds, I would probably keep it outside.  It showered on and off at our wedding, and although our ceremony was not outside, we still took pictures outdoors.  The sprinkles did not bother me one bit!  

As far as your guests go, I assume they would pack an umbrella if the weather seemed like there was a chance for rain.  I would not rent the parasols, personally, but they would look CUTE in pics though 🙂

Post # 3
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Villa Celeste

It’s hard to say, because it would suck to have planned to move your wedding inside and then the weather ends up being okay. My first thought was the parasols sounded like a good idea but then I got to thinking about 150 people with parasols and how that might obstruct someones view/really clutter the space.

As of right now I would just watch the forecast, as you’re right these things to have a tendency to change. See where it’s at in a couple days and figure out what you want to do. I could handle and would happily be in a little drizzle but I know some people absolutely would not care for that. My advice would be to just watch the weather, and see where you’re at in a few days, then make the final call.

Post # 4
1844 posts
Buzzing bee

Number 1 shouldn’t even be a consideration.  Check the forecast Saturday morning.  If there is still a chance for rain, move it inside.  I don’t love anyone enough to sit in the rain to watch them get married. I would watch from inside.  On the flip side of that, as a bride I would have never expected anyone to do that for me.

I’m not trying to be harsh and I understand you really do want your wedding outside.  But if you still have a decent chance of rain, please move it inside.

Post # 5
1188 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2013


Nomster:  It rained all morning before my wedding – I was horrified. My Maid/Matron of Honor kept telling me to just have everything inside but when we got to the venue, the manager said that they recommend waiting until the last minute to make a decision. I’m so glad we did because there was a 30 minute break in the rain – just long enough for the ceremony and it was beautiful. My Father-In-Law said told everyone of course the rain stopped long enough for the ceremony – ColoradoGirl had it planned that way. As we left the venue, there was an amazing rainbow in the sky too. So I’m in the camp of wait and see. How long can you wait to put in a order of the parasols?

Post # 7
1097 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I agree with OUgal0004

I wouldn’t decide anything until it gets closer and you have to tell them. The forecast could be very different by then and it will be much more accurate.

If the forecast happened to be 100% the same, then it depends on how badly you really want the ceremony outside. If you really want it outside, I would rent the parasols. If you’re willing to part with that, have it inside

Post # 8
2880 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Nomster: As someone who used to live in Seattle, I would be pretty unhappy if I was expected to be outside in misting rain unless I was wearing my not-at-all cute rain shell. Even if you rented parasols, some guests might not take them because they get heavy to hold after awhile — I wouldn’t take one, though I’d appreciate the offer.

Any chance you can get a big tent with wall flaps? Can you have everything set up for inside and if it’s ridiculously gorgeous, move everything outside? 

I personally wouldn’t risk outside if it were overcast in Seattle.

Post # 9
186 posts
Blushing bee

I would personally rent a tent. You don’t even need to set it up. If you don’t need it, fine. But then it’s there if you do.


Post # 10
1576 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

My poor hubby just had to make this call for his best friend a few weeks ago. (But it was 40% chance of ThunderStorms) Such a tough situation made worse by the venue not setting a deadline like yours did. They just asked the bride and groom what they wanted to do when the were in the middle of taking pictures on the grounds. No one has the where-with-all to answer that question in that moment!

Darling Husband described it like this:

Worst Case Scenario A: We have the ceremony inside and there’s no rain. You have a beautiful ceremony. Everything goes as planned. Your reception starts on time. It’s a wonderful wedding.

Worst Case Scenario B: We have the ceremony outside and it starts pouring during your ceremony. Guests run around in terror. Sound equipment is destroyed. Your sand ceremony stuff is all wet. Your dress is soaked. Once inside everyone has to wait for the indoor ceremony to get set up. Then be reseated. Then redo the ceremony. Your reception is late and if you don’t want to pay overtime charges, it’s shortened.


We lived through Scenario A. The rain ended up holding off. Oh well. But imagine Scenario B! That would’ve been awful! It was the right call.

However, yours is just showers, not thunderstorms. So it’s an even trickier decision! You just have to wait and check the weather 5 minutes before your deadline and decide for yourself if it’s worth the risk. At 40% showers, I’d choose to go inside.

Post # 11
581 posts
Busy bee


I’d rent or buy umbrellas (cute ones) just in case of rain. 🙂

Post # 12
1188 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Nomster:  I would wait until that morning and see what the weather is doing. If you are really wanting that outdoor ceremony, it would be worth it to wait and see.

Post # 13
5660 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I was just chekcing the weather report for this weekend LOL!

I would wait until Saturday and see how things are going. The weather as you know has been extremely unpredictable the last few weeks and you could end up with somewhat of a nice day. Or maybe a morning shower and then a decently warm afternoon. A lot can change around here in the next 4 days so give it some time.

If the chance of rain on sunday seems like it could be at any given moment then yeah I’d probably move inside. But if you can find out some sort of time frame of rain (by mid day Sat you can see the 36 hour forecast) and it isn’t SUPPOSED to land over your ceremony, then maybe do the umbrellas and keep it outside. 

The topic ‘Potential Rain for Wedding this Weekend! What would you do?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors