Post # 1
Hi lovely ladies!
I’m wondering if anyone has mixed random candle scents together for their reception decor, and what was your experience?
Basically, I have been a crazy candle bride for 3 months and found almost all the 3, 6 & 9 inch pillar candles/colors I needed for decor (um, like 60) for between $1-$1.20 each. Of course this meant shopping clearance and sales, such as after Christmas (and Christmas smells)90% off sale at Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree and IKEA.
Surprisingly, I only have 3 different scents, but they are WAY different: Peppermint, Vanilla Cinnamon Cookie (or something like that), and Cucumber Melon.
There will be 2 of each scent at every table (36) along with unscented (thank goodness!) votive candles.
Recently I got a bad feeling that my room is not going to smell very good with all the scents mixing? Can anyone speak from experience on this? I would really like to light them all for the effect, but I may have to change that plan if we’re going to have a smelly room because of it!
Post # 3
Foodies would tell you not to use scented candles at all when people are eating. I would say that if the ventilation in the room is okay, it’ll probably be okay. I don’t see a problem with the mix of scents, just overwhelming smells!
Post # 4
I really hate to say this, but I would not light them. it will be way too much. Some people are very sensitive to smells (headaches, migraines, allergies) not to mention that it will interfere with the taste of the food.
Post # 5
If you are serving food, scented candles don’t belong there anywhere. The scents do interfere with each other and make people sick. Some people have intolerances to scented candles in general (not that they don’t like the scents but they cause headaches, allergies, and other ailments) and a combination of scents is a bad idea. There are some scented candles that you have to have your nose right in the flame almost getting burned to smell anything and others are very powerful just from the next room, even withiuut lighting any of them. The candle aisle in any store (Target, Walmart, Hallmark, etc) is a good example of scents trying to overpower each other.
Post # 6
- Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort
I would not put any scented candles near food. The scents will affect the way the food tastes, and sine they are cheap candles, the effect will be even worse.
Post # 7
I agree with @kerensa, I wouldn’t use scented candles around all the food.
Post # 8
I LOVE LOVE LOVE burning smelly good candles in our house. But I am very particular because some scented candles are just so strong and blah and if you mix them… with food? And dancing? I am sorry to say I can’t imagine that being a good mix.
Post # 9
Have you got any spares? I was just thinking maybe if you did light a combination of all in a closed room and see how you feel after a few mins and hour etc
I have found cheaper candles generally don’t smell as they are burning – we have vanilla candles for our centrepiece and seriously you have to have your nose ON the wax to smell it and burning you can’t smell it at all…
However our unity candle is from Dusk and is extremely strong – as in i walk into the wedding room (where we are storing all our wedding gear) and all I can smell is “Fresh Crisp Linen” so now I am a little worried about our idea to have the unity candle burning in front of us during the reception, I guess we play it by ear… If it is too strong to eat near we will blow it out and then relight later in the night when it won’t be bothering people who are eating 🙂
Post # 10
I really feel bad saying this because you obviously put effort into getting them all but you might want to reconsider the candles. Some people are extremely sensitive to scents – to the point they’ll be physically ill and that’s obviously not something you’d want to have happen to your guests. I personally get horrible headaches and nausea from strong scents, and definitely wouldn’t be able to eat and probably would have to go outside frequently or even leave if they’re the kind that are particularly strong.
Don’t want to rain on your parade but it might be something to think about.
Post # 11
I agree that you should test them out. I’ve gotten some “scented” candles that don’t smell at all when they’re burning, and they would be fine for what you’re describing. If they’re powerfully scented, though, I think it would be a problem, especially during dinner. Sorry 🙁
Post # 12
Multiple candle scents would give me a profound headache and i would be forced to leve.
Post # 13
It would make me very sick to be in a room with that many scents going on. I’m very sensitive to smells and get headaches easily. I know it sucks since you’ve already purchased all of these candles but I would highly suggest foregoing them and getting unscented ones. You’ll spare your guests an unpleasant experience.
Post # 14
Return as many scented candles as you can! Unfortunetly scented candles and food do not mix together. Since so much of the eating experience is the scent of the food if you want your guests to enjoy their food than use unscented candles.
Plus, no matter how much you love the way it smells there are people out there(like me) who detest scented candles that are heavy. Like PP said too many people are affected by them especially they are cheaper candles and probably full of chemicals you will run into this problem.
Post # 15
Get unscented candles. Scented candles make some people sick, especially if they are cheap candles (I can only do a few brands of scented candles, most give me a headache). And it will clash with the food.