(Closed) Pots & Pans – I am so confused!?!?!

posted 9 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
40 posts
Newbee

STAINLESS STEEL!!  there is no reason to use non-stick for anything but scrambled eggs and pancakes.  i recommend one or two non-stick (go for nice non-stick so it WILL last a while) pans, and get everything else stainless.  i’ve been collecting allclad since my graduation, and i wouldn’t have it any other way.  the pots/pans are NOT that hard to clean.  if something’s really on there, just let it soak in hot soapy water. 

re: butter and oil.  yes, you will have to add a LITTLE more fat to the pan when you’re cooking some things, but think of all of the FLAVOR it will add that you’d otherwise go without!  also, to get rid of the guilt:  many of the vitamins in the food are fat-soluble, so you won’t be able to absorb them unless you eat them with fat.  people have been cooking with fat for AGES, it’s not nearly as bad for you as the chemicals in non-stick surfaces.

(can you tell i feel strongly about this?)

Post # 5
203 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

I was having the same quandry. I’ve been using my mom’s stainless steel hand me down pots for years and I’ve never had an issue cleaning them. You soak them and that’s that. I have a non-stick frying pan that’s great for when I need it. My Fiance and I cook a lot and we decided to go with All Clad since they last a lifetime (and his chef brother highly reccomends them). This site helped me a lot" http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/

GL

Post # 7
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I don’t know whether you’re planning to register for a set or individual pots and pans, but if you’re a dedicated home cook I’d recommend the latter.  You probably want a mix.  For various reasons I’ve mostly had non-stick cookware ’til now, but I think I’ll be registering for some stainless and cast iron.  The heat transfer is really different for various materials, so it depends a lot on what you cook.  I’d also say that you should probably include a couple non-stick items on your registry as well (for things like eggs as leaver suggests).

When it comes to non-stick, I really love circulon.  The grooves allow juices to simmer so if you’re letting htings stew and simmer you get some of that nice glazing.  

And yes, add a little butter or oil to your food (you don’t need much)!  The richness and flavor it adds might also fill you up faster so you end up eating less in the long run.

Post # 8
135 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

We decided on stainless steel after listening to the people at Macy’s and BedBath&Beyond but does anyone know the difference between All Clad and Calphalon?

Post # 9
1718 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2008 - Winery in the Gold Country

I am SO DITTO leaver.  Nothing new to add… she said it all!  We have one non-stick pan for eggs.  The rest stainless and enamel.  Love it!

Post # 10
38 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Stainless steel.  It will last longer and I would be concerned about some of the chemicals used to make the non-stick pans.  All Clad is very high end.  If you are not really into cooking, don’t feel like you should go for All Clad because it’s "the best."  I registered for CALPHALON TRI-PLY STAINLESS 13 piece set.  I asked my dad for recommendations because he is into cooking these days.  (He purchased All Clad, but said the Calphalon set is also very good).

Post # 11
2030 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Follow these rules and your stainless pans will never stick:

• Let food rest at room temperature before placing it int he pan – don’t throw it in straight from th efridge.
  • Add a little oil to the pan
  • Bring the pan up to temperature slowly over med heat before adding any food.

I have the Calphalon tri-ply stainless and I LOVE mine!

The topic ‘Pots & Pans – I am so confused!?!?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors