Post # 1
I’m based in Ireland & I tried on the most BEAUTIFUL Paloma Blanca gown (#4116) in the store yesterday and fell in L.O.V.E.!! Only problem is, the dress is €2100 which is well over my budget (not to mention shoes/ veil/ alterations etc!
Anywho – a quick google search brought me to http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com, has anyone every used it before? is it trustworthy? I found my dress for under half that price (dress brand new & never made it to the wedding!)
I’d really love other bee’s feedback – oh and the lady I’ve contacted wants to use ‘Escrow’ for the payment method, is this legit? I only ever use Paypal for internet purchases!
Post # 3
Yes, the website is very reputable. And from what I’ve read Escrow is supposed to have more buyer-seller protections than Paypal does. Preownedweddingdresses.com tends to be better than other listings because you must pay to list your dress. I’m actually selling a dress I bought and changed my mind on on the website.
Post # 4
Thank you singasong! Have you decided to sell on preowned or did you have a problem with it? I had a quick read on Escrow and it seems really good, but I guess we’ve all heard of Paypal more if you get me?
Post # 5
I’ve actually read a lot of horror stories about Paypal from a seller’s perspective, so I decided not to accept paypal for mine. I’ve had an okay experience so far with preownedweddingdresses, some major lowball offers despite offering a Monique Lhuillier dress for $700. Escrow, if I recall correctly, is basically set up so it tracks the shipping of the package, has the receiver accept it and indicate whether they’re happy with it and will keep it, etc. I bought the dress I’m selling through a bride advertising on one of the pre-owned dress websites (the exact one escapes me now) and it was a very good experience and she only took cashier’s check (but I felt confident in talking with her…this may not always be the best idea). Actually I just looked it up and here is why preownedweddingdresses say they recommend escrow.com (http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/for-buyers/recommended-payment-methods.html):
The Escrow.com (an accredited escrow company) process works like this:
- Buyer and Seller Agree to Terms: Both parties agree to terms of the transaction, which includes a description of the merchandise, sale price, number of days for the Buyer’s inspection, and any shipping information.
- Buyer Pays Escrow.com: The Buyer submits an available payment option. Escrow.com verifies the payment.
- Seller Ships Merchandise: Upon payment verification, the Seller is authorized to ship merchandise and submit tracking information. Escrow.com verifies that the Buyer receives the shipment.
- Buyer Accepts the Merchandise: The Buyer has a set number of days for an inspection and the option to accept or reject the merchandise.
- Escrow.com Pays the Seller: Escrow.com pays the Seller by the method selected by the Seller. The transaction is complete.
How Buyers are protected:
- Escrow.com tracks the shipped merchandise and verifies it was delivered (assuring the wedding dress will ship before the seller receives the money).
- The Seller isn’t paid until the Buyer accepts the merchandise, or the inspection period expires (assuring that the item is as described).
How Sellers are protected:
- Escrow.com confirms when the Buyer receives merchandise.
- The Seller is authorized to ship only after Escrow.com verifies good funds (assuring the seller will get her money).
Post # 6
O wow! Thank you for that! That totally helps me! I can’t wait for the seller to mail me back now! I really hope you get a decent offer for your dress $700 is amazing for M.L
Post # 7
I got my wedding dress though PreOwnedWeddingDresses. It actually was from a bridal salon. I paid with paypal and was very very very happy with the transaction.
Post # 8
A good friend bought her wedding dress on preownedweddingdresses, and had a great experience with the site! She actually went in person to see the gown and paid by cashier’s check, but I’ve heard good things about Escrow in general. Good luck with your search!
Post # 9
I found my dress on that sight and arranged with the seller to buy it through Ebay for the buyers protection. Unfortunately, I had to use it as the dress was in terrible condition. I won my claim against the seller and got a full refund. I’m not sure about Escrow, but if the seller is willing Ebay will have your back if need be.
Post # 10
I actually purchased my Gurl through a boutique that advertises on preowned. No problems. Everything went via Paypal and I was given 3 days to decide. Since my 1st option didn’t work out, my 2nd option was perfect. It also was a sample which why I got it for such a great price.
Escrow is the best way to go for such an expensive purchase. I went through Paypal because the boutique had a 3 day return policy.
Post # 11
I’m actually emailing the owner of my dress now – any important questions you think I should really raise?
I’ve asked about lenght/ alterations/ smoke free home & how she intends to ship – Its coming from the States to me in lil oul Ireland so I don’t have the option to see before I buy but I like that Escrow gives me the opportunity to return & refund (if I understand all this correctly!)
@ Miss Yoga Pants – so sorry to hear about your experience! Has really heghtened my worry about buying online! 🙁
Post # 12
Any newer replies for the same question posted? Thanks!!
Post # 15
I’ll also bump this- is it too good to be true?