(Closed) Pre- Wedding & Wedding day Anxiety – A little Long

posted 8 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
407 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Wow; I know what you’re going through. I don’t have fear of panic about my wedding, but I have had fear of panic in other situations. I had a panic attack in a particular situation and now I fear panicking in that situation again.  If you’ve ever had a panic attack you start to fear the panic attack itself, and the fear keeps perpetuating itself. So you over-analyze it.  You think if you can identify the reasons then you can make it stop.  That’s probably why you are coming up with all these possible reasons. However, I think that none of them are the case. I think you are happy to be with him and you are ready, and what you are really afraid of is the anxiety and panic itself. You think that might be the case?

Post # 4
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

I also take xanax as needed for panic attacks.  As the wedding got closer I found myself taking them daily as well.  Now, I will say we were in a slightly different situation because my stress was all related to being concerned about the little details of the day going wrong.. I never had questions about going through with the wedding.  If you really aren’t sure you want to get married it may be a good idea to hold off a little while.  That being said.. once I got to a point where I was taking xanax daily I decided to see my doctor since that’s not how xanax is meant to be used.  I ended up going on a daily anti anxiety drug (Lexapro) and it was a life changer.  I seriously felt like a different person.. I stopped freaking out about little stuff that just doesn’t matter.  I would talk to your doctor about this.  The best part is that you can still take xanax if things get really stressful and you need it. 

ETA: I also came back off the Lexapro about a month after my wedding with no issues.

Post # 5
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’m sorry you’re going through this!  You can be OK though, I really believe.  Have you seen a therapist for this lately?  Cognitive behavioral therapy is supposed to be really, really effective in getting past something like this, and you might want to talk out your reasons for anxiety with someone just to make sure that you are confident about getting married (which you do sound) and all of the other life changes you’re going through.  There are programs avaliable online as well, I personally can recommend the Panic Puzzle by Rich Presta (google it if you’re interested – I have no investment in this but I have used it).  And changing or increasing your medication is of course a possibility too; I just personally tend towards non-med approaches at least at first, so I don’t personally have any advice there.

You still have 5 months, which is plenty of time to get a hold on this and feel better, and prepared, so you can enjoy your wedding!  I know its easier said than done, but fearing the panic only makes it worse.  Channel your energy into getting better instead!  I know you can do this. 

The topic ‘Pre- Wedding & Wedding day Anxiety – A little Long’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors