(Closed) Pregnant, should we cancel honeymoon?

posted 5 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: Honeymoon
    Go! Make the best of it what ever it is : (111 votes)
    69 %
    Postpone until 2nd trimester (IF DH can get the time off NOT likely) : (8 votes)
    5 %
    Cancel BIG trip, plan another awesome mini trip closer to home! Then nest house : (42 votes)
    26 %
  • Post # 3
    2419 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

    I would cancel the trip and use the money to get the house set up they way you guys want it before the baby comes. Could you use the excuse that something came up at DH’s work and you had to cancel?

    Post # 4
    335 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

    I’d say go. buy some sea bands for nausea and tell your doc that you would like an rx for zofran. As long as you stay hydrated you should feel ok. It sounds like the trip of a lifetime and if I had the chance I would seize it. Otherwise you might not get to go until baby is much older. 

    Post # 5
    1548 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

    I think you should go on the trip, Celebrate your marriage! Once the baby comes, it will be much harder for the two of you to get away. Even if you’re feeling sick, it will still be a nice vacation. 

    Post # 6
    839 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

    I get what you are saying about using the money on your house. It’s the most logical, especially given that you are expecting a baby.


    HOWEVER, from the sounds of it you don’t really value travel, yet your husband is really looking forward to this trip. I would be worried that if you cancel the trip and use the money towards your home that you won’t ever end up going on a honeymoon, which is sad. You’re about to become parents, and you really should take every opportunity to get away as a couple. So I think you should just go on your honeymoon as planned, and take with you all kinds of things to help with morning sickness. You can buy lollipops for it, and those bracelets that hit the pressure points in your wrists, etc.

    Take the time while it’s just the two of you!! 

    Post # 7
    2515 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

    since you both seem to be on board canceling the trip, then i would do that. maybe you can go somewhere closer to home for that time period so people don’t question it (like just go to vancouver or something). it would be cheaper so you’d still have money to put into the house. 🙂

    Post # 8
    907 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2011

    I vote for B.  I think some kind of honeymoon is still important, but I agree you may not enjoy the big European trip if you’re not feeling good.  It’ll be fun to use the money on your house, but since a honeymoon is something it sounds like your husband really wanted, I think a smaller honeymoon is a good compromise. Maybe you could rent a nice cabin somewhere closer to home or stay in a nice B&B for a few days–something relaxing if you aren’t feeling well .  That would still give you money for house stuff yet also give you and your husband time away together which you may regret not having after the baby’s born.  

    Post # 9
    7445 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2013

    I’d cancel and plan a small trip closer to home, and use the money towards the house.

    Post # 10
    8146 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2012

    I say…. push the date?… umm.. not sure when morning sickness goes away, but maybe further (like 4 months from now) you can use it a baby-moon?  IMO, I wouldnt want to go anywhere after the baby. I know i’d be like “we cant splurge on a trip, baby needs this and that!” i’d feel majorly guilty, plus you have to make it baby friendly. We did something similar as option B. We stayed closer to home (4-5 hours away) and we spent money fixing up our house and we’re so happy about that BUT we also didnt have a baby on the way!  I dont know.. option A or B.. you guys need some alone time to celebrate your marriage, and love and be all giddy for baby and kind of relax before the baby coming stress sets in?

    this is my opinion as someone who didnt go on a big honeymoon and i’m not expecting, so i’m not a good gauge!!  I choose Option B… and then Option A if you feel up to it!  🙂 iF the trip is already planned… Option A might be less stressful, and i think you’ll enjoy it no matter what! might take your mind off of it!

    Post # 11
    882 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

    I really think you should go on the honeymoon.  You can be sick at home or you can be sick on vacation.  Whether you go or not won’t change that fact.  This will probably be the last chance you get to have a trip just the 2 of you before the baby (where youa ren’t giant pregnant).  I really think you will regret it if you don’t take this trip.

    Post # 12
    530 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2012 - Hacienda los Agaves

    If it were me I’d look for solutions to the sickness and go, just because with a baby you don’t know when will you have another chance to make a trip like that.

    However, if you were not as excited for the trip in the first place and you still need some work on the house I’d take option B. I think it’s important for you to take some nice time with each other (especially if your hubby was looking forward to this).

    You can always say money got tight, or something came up, and you rather spend the money on the house right now if you’re not ready to announce the pregnancy.

    Post # 13
    3625 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

    I personally would cancel the trip and try to schedule something for the second trimester. Honestly, I felt like crap the first trimester and Darling Husband and I couldn’t imagine having me do any kind of travelling between the nausea/vomitting, the incessant trips to the bathroom and the exhaustion. In our case, we actually are going on our honeymoon (which we delayed) in my second trimester and we are considering that our babymoon as well and generally speaking, I’ve just entered the second trimester and for the most part, I do feel significantly better than the first.

    Post # 14
    2188 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2024

    AmyFarrahFowler YES. I’d still go, it will be a great trip. Talk to your doctor about getting something for morning sickness and make the best of a trip your Darling Husband wants to go on and has worked hard to surprise you with!

    Post # 15
    4574 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

    Can you guys maybe push the date, instead of cancelling for good.  I hear that once you are on your second trimester you start feeling less sick and more you, again.  When you go to your honeymoon the last thing you want is for you and your Darling Husband to be stuck in a hotel room because one of you (in this case you) is not feeling good, y’know. 

    I say push the date and if you want you can go somewhere else instead of Europe. 

    Post # 16
    2183 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

    If I were you, I’d call my doctor and ask for a prescription for Zofran and enjoy the trip! You guys won’t have an opportunity like this for a while, and I bet it’s special to your husband since he planned it for you. You’ll have a blast without the alcohol. …It’s a babymoon!

    The topic ‘Pregnant, should we cancel honeymoon?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors