- 5 years ago
hello ladies, I have been a frequent member of the “pregnancy board” and didn’t think I’d come over here until November to discuss diaperbags, rockers, and all the stuff that goes on with full term babies. If there is a better forum for this thread please let me know. My goal is not to depress anyone, believe me i am saddened enough by this whole situation. I think I just need to tell people what happened and am looking for moral support. I could go on another website but this one and the people here made me the most comfortable.
i was having a normal pregnancy, no issues, to be due Nov 1.
Suddenly on the 4th of July, I went to the ER. Not feeling great, passing a lot of mucus. I was feeling “off” for the last day or two prior but didn’t feel contractions or cramping. No bleeding or water hush. Turns out I went into premature labor at 22 weeks, 6 days. I was already dialated 3cm. I was transferred to a specialty hospital, given steroid shots to help baby’s lungs mature quicker and placed on magnesium to stop the labor But went further at 4-5cm dialated. It stopped there.
It was a horrible experience. My husband and I made some very tough choices that week, our wishes if she were to be born at 23 weeks. Odds are not good at that age. If she was to be born week 23, she would have definitely passed away upon birth.
But I managed to hold her in for 1 more week on hospitalized bed rest. Week 24, there is increased viability but that doesn’t mean perfect outcome. Those things are unknown. And your choices as a parent change. If you decide to do comfort care only and let her pass in your arms there is a chance that her lungs could keep pumping and not pass. I didn’t want to take that risk. I wanted her to at least get breathing assistance and then let the Drs assess.
well, I think she knew the deal. She held on Until exactly 24 weeks. She wanted a chance.
exactly week 24, I went into labor. Apparently am infection started in the uterous. Was a quick dilation and birth. Born at 1lb 6oz.
she was quickly ventilated – and whisked to the nicu.
shes so far a little fiesty girl and a fighter. So far no brain bleed. She’s got some irritation of the lungs due to the infection but it’s not in her blood. Shes on a mix of antibiotics. But that’s it for now.
She may end up with some lung issues in the future, easily susceptible to colds etc. But that is best case scenario. Worst case, I don’t want to think about.
im home, discharged yesterday. planning on heading to the nicu everyday.
We will have ups and downs. She’s not out of the woods By any means. I’m a scared, worried mamma. I’m trying to pump milk for her and am somewhat successful so far, at least on one side.
Im writing this mostly to help myself cope. I think I just need support and encouragement. I never expected to be in this situation and am having a tough time. Everything is so surreal. I’m so worried for her. I’m praying hard.
anyone out there have had a similar problem or issues?
- This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by alc1979.