(Closed) PROACTIV? Do you like it?

posted 12 years ago in Beauty
  • poll: Do you like Proactiv?
    Never used it. But have a comment or other suggestion... : (9 votes)
    15 %
    I use it and love it. It works for me. : (14 votes)
    23 %
    I tried it and hated it. I stuck to the program and it did not work. : (27 votes)
    44 %
    I tried it, but I didn't stick to it, so I don't know why it didn't work. : (6 votes)
    10 %
    I use it, but have another opinion... : (6 votes)
    10 %
  • Post # 32
    48 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2010

I have used Proactive since college, and for me, NOTHING else has worked. I have very oily skin. I have tried other products twice and both of them worked for a couple of months and then I broke out REALLY bad – painfully bad. So, I will no longer EVER try anything else. if you do try it, be sure to get the moisturizing lotion too. And, when my skin gets a little dry, I lay off the 3rd step and only use it every other night. If you are nervous about trying it, I would go to a dematologist and see what they recomend based on your skin and acne type. Good luck!!

Post # 33
    22 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: February 2010

It thins your skin and makes you break out after you stop. Don’t do it…

Post # 34
    2304 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I use Acne Free, which is like Proactiv, but not! And its cheaper and you can just buy it at a drugstore or something (I always go to Target). But you can get the 3 stage kit, or just buy the facewash. I used to do the kit but my skin got too dry, so now I just use the facewash and I love it. I still have my breakouts, but overall it works really well on my skin.

Post # 35
    196 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: January 2011

i’m like @pendola — the only thing that has really worked for me was Purpose fash wash, and i’ve honestly tried *everything*! i have slight sensitive skin & am pretty fair and while i liked the creaminess of the proactive cleanser, the whole system just dried my skin out like crazy!

my savior products are:

• Purpose face wash
    • Peter Thomas Roth’s AHA/ABA acne serum
    • Peter Thomas Roth’s Oil-Free Moisturizer

a great acne mask (that doesn’t over-dry) is DDF’s Sulfur mask. it smells like bloody hell, but it works great & also as a spot treatment!

Post # 36
    34 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2011

I have oily skin just like you and Proactiv worked fine for me.  It is true that it can throw off the pH balance of your skin by stripping the natural oils.  I would say to just use the toner and mask sparingly and make sure to moisturize.

The best skin care system I have *ever* used, and (I’ve used a LOT) is Glytone. I get it from a dermatologist but you can order it online. I can’t say enough good things about it.

Post # 37
    1150 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I hated it. I really just have a little mild acne (but very oily skin) and if anything it made my skin worse. Not only that, but it made it peely, dry, and kind of scaly. The only product I felt worked was the refining mask. Everything else was terrible.

Post # 38
    1656 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

Did not work at all. Every time I see a Proactiv commercial I scream at the TV. LIES!

Post # 39
    300 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2009 - Byodo-In Temple, Luau Reception

I’ve been using Proactive for about 5 months now. I don’t have really bad skin (whiteheads and the occasional zit or three), but I was really breaking out lately and I kept getting those under the skin suckers (that really hurt bad).

At first my face didn’t seem to get any better, I want to say it took about 2 months or so for my face to really clear up, but it’s been clear since. woot woot! I’ve been debating if I want to stop using proactive or not. I’m kinda scared that I’ll break out again if I stop.

Post # 40
    117 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2010

I used proactive, and acne free and all of those other stuff that they put on the t.v. (They Didn’t Work)

The best stuff I have used is Origins. I use the stuff for the combination skin and my face has cleared up. I don’t get any more pimple except some black heads once and awhile. So I will do a mask and it will clear it all up.

Post # 42
    1557 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

My FH uses is since he has acne prone skin — though he doesn’t use it as often now that he sports a grizzly adams beard.

I use it about 1-3 times a week [the face wash], I have never really struggled with acne but do have delicate/sensitive skin, if I over use it [any of the 3 step] it dries out my skin terribly. I have even been ‘burnt’ by the astringent on occassion as well, so I usually only use the astringent if I have a break out, or am particularly oily.

I’ve used LOTS of different cleansers and often end up with facial ‘burn’ — even the hypoallergenic or ‘sensitive skin’ types.

Try it for a month and if you don’t like it I am pretty sure they refund/return policy.

The topic ‘PROACTIV? Do you like it?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors