Professor quitting right before/right after start of semester

posted 5 months ago in Career
  • poll: Do you think I should take the new job (if I get an offer) or teach the classes?
    Take the new job! : (69 votes)
    99 %
    Teach the classes! : (1 votes)
    1 %
  • Post # 2
    Member
    7258 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

    If you get the job I’d definitely take it bee. You have to look out for yourself here and this would be a HUGE step up in terms of pay, career goals and overall quality of life! No brainer.

    Post # 3
    Member
    252 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2019

    Take the new job!!! I don’t think you should pressure them for an earlier answer though. 

    That’s so exciting for you!! Good luck!!!

    Post # 4
    Member
    835 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2019

    Take. That. Job.  Not even a question.

    Post # 5
    Member
    5171 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2014

    Take the job, no question. If they give you a start date a few weeks out, then it would be nice of you to start teaching the course while they find a replacement, at the very least to keep a good reference, but you don’t even have to do that. Good Luck!

    Post # 6
    Member
    572 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

    Anonymous1063 :  it’s noble that you don’t want to leave your school in the lurch but you 100% no question have to take this new opportunity if offered. Do you think your job would hesitate to let you go at a time that isn’t convenient for you? If/ when you put in your resignation say it was for a full-time opportunity you couldn’t pass up. Either they’ll understand or they won’t, but since you’re going for a career change anyway I’d say it doesn’t much matter what they think.

    Post # 7
    Member
    3651 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

    Anonymous1063 :  im also an adjunct (finishing my PhD), and i say without any hesitation whatsoever – TAKE THE JOB! Eff the university. Adjuncts are treated like expendable crap – they’re happy to pay wages that amount to indentured servitude and cancel your classes the day before the semester starts, leaving you totally SOL. You owe them nothing. Nothing! If they want loyalty and stability, universities need to either treat adjuncts better, or hire faculty to teach.

    Post # 8
    Member
    2615 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

    I’m with everyone else.  Take the job.  Most jobs would give you a start date of at least a couple weeks from when you get an offer, so after you accept the offer, I would give your 2 weeks notice at the teaching job.  That gives them a bit of time to replace you if they want.

    Post # 9
    Member
    678 posts
    Busy bee

    Take the job. There really is no other answer.

    Post # 10
    Member
    138 posts
    Blushing bee

    While not an ideal situatin I say take the job, if they wanted commitment on your part they wouldn’t have you teaching as an adjunct.  I say this as someone who was an adjunct in the past…. 

    Post # 11
    Member
    9728 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2016

    Take  the job.

    Finding a lecturer/adjunct last minute really isn’t so hard. Even grad students will sometimes lecture: I did when I was still doing my PhD. Try to leave before the semester starts, If you can, for the sake of the students but aside from that…

    Don’t give up your dream job for a job with zero security and not very much reciprocated respect.

    Post # 12
    Member
    1851 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2018

    Take the job, don’t ask for an earlier decision, and offer to work for two weeks while your college finds a replacement.  Giving two weeks’ notice is standard.  But you gotta look out for #1, especially since your employer does NOT look out for you currently. 

    Good luck!

    Post # 13
    Member
    4404 posts
    Honey bee

    Take the job. If employers don’t want people to leave at inopportune times they should pay a decent wage and provide health care. They get what they get honestly. I wouldn’t feel bad for one second. If there were budget cuts they would have no problem giving the pink slip to you. Happened here in California all the time. Take it. 

    Post # 14
    Member
    4404 posts
    Honey bee

    Oh yea don’t ask for an earlier decision. 

    Post # 15
    Member
    527 posts
    Busy bee

    Take the job. They’ll find a replacement. Give them your two weeks notice if you do get it. And definitely don’t contact the state about their decision.

    Leave a comment


    Find Amazing Vendors