- 2 years ago
- Wedding: July 2013
I wrote about this hypothetically about a year ago, but now it may be a reality, and I would like advice on how to handle it.
For several years, my only source of income has been adjunct teaching at colleges – no health insurance or other benefits, sometimes classes cancelled at last minute – the usual for an adjunct. I was disabled, and needed part time, flexible work, even if it was hard to live on the money.
Now I feel ready (healthwise) to return to a full-time job outside of academia.
I have tried very hard while job searching to time it so that I would not be faced with a choice of quitting mid semester or right before the start of a semester. But I just had an interview with a place I applied to several months ago. It is a DREAM job for me because it involves working with people who have the same disability that I have. It pays about $60,000 with insurance and other benefits, as opposed to the $22,000 – $30,000 I might pull off as an adjunct.
They said they will let me know the same week classes are beginning. Maybe I will hear the day before or right after I have started teaching.
I would like feedback.
Should I decline the job, if offered, and teach the classes?
Look out for my own best interest and jump at the chance?
Should I offer to teach the first couple of weeks, if necessary, while they find a replacement?
Should I try to contact the potential new employer and ask for an earlier answer on whether I have the job? It is a state position, and the human resource director laid out a clear timetable. So many days of interviews, and then a decision a particular week, so I didn’t sense a lot of flexibility, and I’m a little afraid of raising any red flags about me being available to start.
I realize I may not get the job, and all this won’t matter, but I feel I need to be prepared if the offer comes.