- 4 years ago
- Wedding: December 2012
So a promotion has been in the works for DH going on 6 months or so now. This past week, the ball has really started rolling.
He has a phone interview with his former boss, A (A was promoted mid- last year) tomorrow through Thursday, it’s up to DH to decide the time of the interview. He has already been corresponding with his boss, B, and the manager at the central store, C. This job is his; the interview is just a preliminary thing they ‘have’ to do.
DH already makes double what I do, but this promotion would mean making more than what he and I make together by himself, plus give me opportunity for my own advancement. Basically, we’d be crazy to turn this offer down.
This is a wonderful opportunity for both of us, and we are both thrilled, but are also terrified. Here’s my main list of concerns:
1. We currently own a home that we are paying a mortgage on. However, DH’s father is wanting to rent the home from us (paying mortgage as it is without charging him any more to ‘rent’ + water/power/cable). So we could actually keep a ‘base’ home without worrying about listing it on the market right away, and still feel secure knowing we’re renting it to a trustworthy party. (Yes, he would be signing a contract for renting- I don’t want to end up in trouble no matter how much I trust FIL). Plus, this provides us time to renovate the house with new countertops/flooring so when we do list it, we’ll be gaining a larger profit.
2. It’s a 3 hour drive from our home now, which isn’t *that* bad in retrospect, but it’s still a leap- DH and I have both lived in this same area our entire lives. This new place is totally foreign to us, even though it’s only a state away.
3. We’d have to find a place to rent. There are a few places we’re looking at, and we’re going to tour them this weekend, so we’ll see the location/proximity to town then. We took a day trip yesterday to check out the area (since neither of us have actually been there), and we love it! The prices are absolutely doable (~$850 for a 1br/1ba with 900 square feet- this is a gated community with all kinds of amenities). There is also an option to lease for 6,9, or 12 months- which is perfect for us since he may actually get promoted a second time within a year and we’d have to relocate once again. (His manager/boss and their boss want DH in upper management, but they have to give him supervisory/managerial experience at a slightly lower level while they find an opening above that).
4. My family/his family is all here. If it was just DH and I, this would be a non-issue. In reality, they won’t hold us back or change our minds on a decision to go, but it’s already causing tension and resentment in the family (on his side and my side). It’s horrible, but the only way to advance in the company DH works for is to move, and in 7 years he has been right here- so now, he’s finally getting a big promotion and we have to move or they’ll get someone else and he may not ever get a chance to advance again. It would be suicide to turn this down; he won’t get another offer for advancement if he rejects this (especially if it’s based on not leaving our hometown because we’re comfortable since that will show them we aren’t willing to do what it takes to advance.)
The whole process may take a few months until we’re actually moving- DH will have to train his replacement, then he’ll have to attend his own training for the new postion, and then we’ll have to actually move; but it shouldn’t be more than 2 months before we’re in our new place!
We are also TTC, and may put that on hold for a few months as we move/transition into the new place. However, DH has said he’s fine with continuing if I want to (I just don’t want to add morestress on top of all this, lol)
If anyone else has had a similar experience (relocation for work, moving somewhere new, etc.) please offer me advice! I am supporting DH 100% in this, and I’m ready to go when they say the word, but I’m also incredibly nervous- this is a huge change for us!