Pros and Cons of having a Videographer?!

posted 3 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Should we spend the money on a videographer?
    Yes : (49 votes)
    82 %
    No : (11 votes)
    18 %
  • Post # 2
    Member
    386 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2018

    Commenting to follow! I’m having the same debate. I don’t think we’re going to do it. The videos are only 15 minutes when they’re edited and I don’t think we’ll watch it often. I’d rather spend more on photos. But that’s my opinion. I’m not 100% though

    Post # 3
    Member
    161 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: December 2016

    we’re going with a videographer because it’s a nice sentiment to have but primarily because we have two wedding celebrations (one is overseas) and would like to show our video at our second celebration. we’re not deluding ourselves that we’ll be watching it frequently post-wedding but i also see it as something to have for our children, etc. 

    Post # 4
    Member
    924 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

    I think it depends on what you want to capture. I didn’t want a brief edited video or even a 1.5 hour edited video–I specifically wanted the opportunity to watch my ceremony in the future. I was fortunate enough to find a videographer who is willing to film the ceremony beginning to end, with some small clips of the immediate before and after for only $600. For the whole wedding, they have packages in the $3-5k range, but I don’t want that. I’m super happy with what we’ve picked, so like I said, I think it can depend on what you want filmed. 

    Post # 6
    Member
    889 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

    What’s your total budget? That would help answer. For us, it was 100% worth it. I love my video, and can’t wait to watch it each year on our one year anniversary. 

    Post # 8
    Member
    924 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

    You said that most prices are around $1500-1700…is that for just filming the ceremony? The videographer’s normal prices were way out of budget, but he and I were able to agree on the $600 after emailing back and forth for a bit. A lot of places are usually more than willing to customize a package for you if you reach out to them.

    As a side note, the videographer I picked was also recommended by my photographer, so that’s a great way to find someone reputable–not to mention someone who can work with (and around) your photographer! 

    Post # 9
    Member
    889 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

    I meant for the total wedding. $1,500 is a lot to spend if your total wedding budget is $10,000. It’s not as much to spend if your budget is $30,000. I found the knots budget tool very helpful when wedding planning. According to the knot, you should spend around 5% of your total wedding budget on videography, and around 6% on photography. If you cut videography, you could spend more (11%) on photography. Hope that helps!

    Post # 11
    Member
    1191 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2021 - City, State

    My folks had one and we’ve watched it once as her children and never again.

    Although it’s a nice thing it’s not something we have the urge to go back and watch over and over again. 

     

    Post # 12
    Member
    889 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

    soontobenoone :  In that case, do it! You will have pictures and video for the rest of your life. I would much rather spend $1,500 on a videographer than say, chivari chairs. 

    Post # 13
    Member
    2254 posts
    Buzzing bee

    It’s better to have and not need than to need and not have when it comes wedding videos. Once the day passes, that’s it — you can never go back and record it.

    Think about the future; not about now, not about the budget. There could come a time when you or someone else will want to see the wedding video. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to pull one out and watch it? 

    You’re spending 20-30k on a wedding. A thousand or so dollars on a videographer is a drop in the bucket. Not having a videographer would be foolish, in my opinion. We have the technology; let’s use it.

    Leave a comment


    Find Amazing Vendors