(Closed) PSA: dog food recall & Help! Dog with salmonella?

posted 6 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
1774 posts
Buzzing bee

@pinkshoes:  Iwould get a refund from Diamond. They’re being great about it. Get a new bag, pronto. Better safe than sorry. I’d just watch for other symptoms for now.

Post # 4
1087 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I am not sure the answer to your questions but if it were me I would take him to the vet, or at the very least call to see what they think you should do. I hope he feels better soon! :-/

Post # 5
4275 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

If he continues to have diarrhea, take him to the vet. It might be related to food or it might not. But if it had salmonella it could possibly have some other pathogen as well.

and I don’t know why people are feeding their dogs raw chicken. It should be boiled first….at least thats what I do and suggest clients do. The benefits of a rare diet are debated which is why I choose to stay on the safe side of it.

Post # 7
7293 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

Ugh my dog got his “Taste of the Wild” recalled but I don’t have any of the bags he had eaten to check the sku numbers- I got the message emailed to me. My dog also threw up today and has diahreah but he hasn’t had that food in weeks.  ** for us it is unrelated to the recalled food. Its most likely from us  exercising him in hot weather and a new dry food change etc. If you have any kaopectate or anti diarrheal , slip him a few teaspoons- it helps 🙂

My dog eats raw chicken and does not have any gastro problems.

I read the issue was for the humans, they were contracting a rare form of salmonella from handling the food or coming in contact with the dog after eating!

Post # 8
2951 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I got an email about this today! I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild which is made by Diamond. I checked the date on my bag and im safe!

Hope everyone else gets a refund and their pups are alright!

Post # 9
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@pinkshoes – Salmonella is a non-issue for a healthy dog. Salmonella recalls on dog food are more for the safety of the humans than for the pets. Since you’ve already been feeding half the dog of food you’re currently on, I doubt the food caused the conspitation/diarrhea. I think your dog probably got into something else (trash, food scraps, etc.) that caused the current diarrhea. I would fast him for 24 hours (with plenty of liquid available), and see if it clears up. (If not, vet time.) Then give him a couple days of bland diet.

@Cady – RE: “and I don’t know why people are feeding their dogs raw chicken”

Humans are the only animals that cook our food. A dog’s (or any carnivore’s) digestive system is designed to handle bacteria far more efficently than a human’s; food is digested quickly and passes through a short digestive tract.

Cooking removes/alters some of the nutrients in food. So in a balanced raw diet, there is no supplementation needed; whereas in a balanced home-cooked diet, supplementation is required.

Cooking also alters the protein; for example, one of my dogs is intolerant of cooked chicken, but has no problems with raw chicken. Chemically changing the food (speaking in chemiestry terms of a “chemical change” versus “physical change”) can affect the way the body handles the food.

Also, raw bones play an important part in a balanced raw diet, which should include 10% bone; they provide calcium, phosphorus, and other nutrients, as well as firming the dog’s poo; without bones, the diet is unbalanced. Raw bones are safe and digestible (yes, even raw chicken bones), Cooked bones (even cooked beef bones) are the dangerous bones, they become brittle and splinter into sharp shards.

http://rawfed.com/myths/

Post # 10
2825 posts
Sugar bee

@abbyful:  this exactly… I was just going to say the same thing.  Thank you.

@Cady:  wild wolves, coyotes and other wild dogs don’t cook their food before they eat it, so it’s makes you wonder why people cook their dog’s food… I’ve been contemplating feeding my dog raw for a while now and I can only see benefits, the only thing holding me back is the price…

@pinkshoes:  I can’t give you any advice that hasn’t been said already, but I hope your pup starts feeling better soon!  And I would at least get a refund on the first bag, but try for all three it won’t hurt anything.

Post # 11
8390 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Wild animals don’t cook their food, but they also live much shorter lives, parasite infected lives. Just sayin, lol.

I’m pretty sure the recall was because people were getting salmonella from handling the food, not from the dogs getting sick. But it IS possible for a dog to get salmonella, just not as likely as a human since they have a different type of digestive system.

Post # 13
4275 posts
Honey bee

Yeah…I heard all of the pros and cons to it. Trust me I researched it. I still would not recommend it, like I said it is highly debated, especially to the fact that an all protein diet can lead to renal problems in dogs. Cats are true carnivores, not domesticated canines. Hence why it is unwise to feed a dog cat food. Cooking meat can also kill whatever may be lurking in there. I will always suggest boiled chicken and rice, as well as specialty dry kibble preferably the kind that has gone through years of studies and research. To suggest it to a client would be irresponsible of me, so yes it is the owner’s choice but I would never go there.

Post # 14
7293 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

@pinkshoes:  Changing foods may cause more runny poo in the beggining! I would put him on rice and boiled chicken , for a bit. Then mix some rice into the new food you want to give. And if you have any anti-diarrheal (liquid), give him some!

Post # 15
4275 posts
Honey bee

@pinkshoes:  Take him to the vet.

The topic ‘PSA: dog food recall & Help! Dog with salmonella?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors