(Closed) Pulled my back muscles, what kind of exercise…?

posted 9 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
1896 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009 - St. Thomas of Villanova Church & the F.U.E.L. House

Ouch!  Get thee to a P.T., stat!  Do not pass go, do not collect $200!  My dad aggravated his rotater cuff a few years ago, and Mr. Bruschetta was able to rehab him with quick and easy treatments so he doesn’t have any pain anymore!

Post # 5
1896 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009 - St. Thomas of Villanova Church & the F.U.E.L. House

Yuppers, I do.  🙁  Sorry! 

It’s awesome.  P.T. rehabbed me from shin splints, and helps me cope with almost daily lower back pain.  

Post # 7
7 posts
  • Wedding: February 2004

I threw my back out 2 years ago and after LONG (close to 2 years) rehab  including massage, PT, chiropractor, Mobic (anti inflamatory) and a few pain killers I am back to normal again. I would suggest to keep doing exercises otherwise you may get stiff and out of shape. However, it is important to do the right ones… The chiropractor really helped me as the muscles had pulled the hip & lower back out of alignment. It is a very long and slow process though, since the back is used in most movements. Hang in there, keep moving.

Post # 8
159 posts
Blushing bee

i agree with the PT.  if you can’t exercise, really work on your diet.  if you are careful about what you eat you won’t gain any weight and can even loose some.  

Post # 9
2819 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Go to a PT. =/ I’m sorry your insurance doesn’t really cover it, but he’ll be able to A) help you get your back better faster, and B) give you exercises to do while you’re still out of commission.

Post # 10
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Hey I am really sorry you are going through this – I am recovering from a back injury myself!

As a Kinesiologist I would actually recommend a registered massage therapist first – they will start the healing process and get the muscle to relax and settle down. You should NOT be doing any exercise – the only way to heal a muscle strain is relaxation, sleep (thats when it can heal the best), heat (not icy-hot that is just a skin irritant for you not to notice the pain) and massage. PT should come when you are in the recovery stage not in the full blown strain stage and it is cheaper! I have delt with strains through massage only to avoid the PT costs!

You will be able to work out hard core when you are healed if you push yourself too soon you will just keep re-injuring yourself!

 I hope you feel better soon! 

Post # 11
948 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2018 - Coyaba Resort, Montego Bay

I’m in PT right now for pulling my back – it is still sore (6 weeks later!) but it soo much better!

We started with a series of stretches and exercises that build up the core – inner abs, etc.  I would definitely go to a PT – even for just session or two.  They’ll be able to go through exercises with you that you can do at home (every day!) 

Post # 12
54 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Unless your insurance is really bad or you have an HSA, a PT would probably be cheaper than a massage.  And you would get exercises to do at home – as long as you actually do them!  

Do not do sit ups!  You need to keep your back straight for now.  You can still work the core though.  My quick google search came up with this:  http://www.pregnancy-info.net/topic_other_topics.html  (i know it says pregnancy, but it’s all the same exercises).  

 I am also rather anti-chiropractor.  Sure, they help some people but they often insist on seeing you 2-3x/week for 1-2 years.  How is that affordable?  Depending on the severity of your injury, a PT might just need to see you a couple times.  

 And yes, a massage may help but that’s not going to fix the reason you injured yourself in the first place. 

The topic ‘Pulled my back muscles, what kind of exercise…?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors