(Closed) Q&A: What’s the Buzz about your Wedding, Bees?

posted 7 years ago in Beehive
Post # 3
10287 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

1. How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? We met at FI’s old job…
  2. Length of Engagement: We were engaged in June 2010 and our wedding is in October 2011, so 16 months.
  3. Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): Formal
  4. Wedding Budget: $17,000 including rings and Honeymoon
  5. Wedding Colors: Burnt orange and chocolate brown with accents of plum, gold, rust red and green (fall themed wedding).
  6. Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): Alfred Angelo 2082W
  7. # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 1 Maid/Matron of Honor, 2 BrdMd’s, 1 Bridesmaid or Best Man, 2 GM’s, 2 Ushers, 1 Ring Bearer
  8. # of Guests (approx): 85
  9. Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): Lots of pumpkins, leaves and natural elements in the décor. Mini apple pies as our favors. Faux-to-booth.
  10. Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: The worst advice I received was to not bother hiring a DOC. We’re still 5 months out from our wedding but I can already tell you that our DOC is going to be a crucial part of our day. Being able to relax and just be a bride is going to be a huge weight off my shoulders.
  11. Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? Do your homework! If you go with the first and only vendor you contact, chances are you’re not going to get the best deal. Research, research, research!
  12. FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: Fiance was DEAD SET on pyrotechnics at our wedding (like WWF style). I had to explain to him that our venue (…and I) would never allow it. He was bummed but I think he’s gotten over it.
  13. Little Known Fact About You on WB: Geez, I have no idea. I think I’ve shared every miniscule detail with the Hive. 

Post # 4
6998 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

1. How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? He worked with my sister πŸ™‚ she was like you HAVE to meet this guy – i had just gotten out of a 3 year relationship and wasnt looking for anything serious but after a few dates i knew there was something different about him and a couple months into it i had no doubt in my mind this was the man i was supposed to be with.

1. Length of Engagement: 7 months

1. Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): Formal Catholic Ceremony but we had a young crowd so we let our hair down and got a little wild at the reception

1. Wedding Budget: we spent about 18k

1. Wedding Colors: black, white and red

1. Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): no known designer- it was from a store called group usa

1. # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 5 of each

1. # of Guests (approx): 120

1. Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): My cake! it was probably my favorite decoration in the whole reception and i hate cake haha- but it was beautiful and tasted fantastic, also my fauxtobooth – my husband and i worked really hard on building the actual booth and doing hundreds to test runs (you should see those photos) – it turned out great and everyone seemed to have a ball with it!

1. Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: Most: make sure you take the time that day to admire your groom. i actually got that piece of advice from one of the bee’s and she was right, you spend so much time side by side talking to guests and entertaining that you almost forget to stop and take a few minutes for just the two of you.

1. Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? take it all in – every moment – it goes by so quickly

1. FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: we were watching food network one night and it was one of the challenges – sugar to be exact and they made these huge panels of sugar that looked like glass, he was like we can make that and run through it when they introduce us. right…that idea never made it the wedding

1. Little Known Fact About You on WB: i had horrible dress regret through all of planning, pretty much up to the wedding day, but ended up loving my dress!

Post # 5
5110 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2011

• How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? We met through a mutual friend on the fourth of july at his house.. then we walked down the the river for fireworks hung out the rest of the night and it was all over from there been together ever since. He then proposed at the fireworks the next fourth of July πŸ™‚
  • Length of Engagement: one year and four months
  • Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): formal ish
  • Wedding Budget: around 8k
  • Wedding Colors: black, white, and hints of tourquois
  • Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): Oleg Cassini
  • # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 5 each
  • # of Guests (approx): about 112
  • Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): Really I just want to be around everyone I love on our special day.
  • Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: Dont go over your budget its only one day. Use that money to set you up for the rest of your future together.
  • Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? Dont stress out to much about the little details nobody judges as harshly as you do. My friend was freaking at her wedding about every little thing and didnt take time to actually enjoy it she said thats her single biggest regret.
  • FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: He unfrotunately says tits all the time.. if he likes the movie.. he will say something like “that movie was tits” ugh funny at times but ugh.
  • Little Known Fact About You on WB

Post # 6
5797 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

1. How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? Working together at my first job out of college

2. Length of Engagement: 17 months

3. Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): semi-formal, beach

4. Wedding Budget: 35k

5. Wedding Colors: Mint, Light Blue, Tan

6. Wedding Dress Designer: Pronovias Higuera

7. # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen: 3 Bridesmaid or Best Man / 1 Maid/Matron of Honor / 1 Groomsmen / 2 Bridesmaid or Best Man

8. # of Guests: 103

9. Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): All our guests are getting flip flops at our ceremony, my Godfather is officiating, a Flamenco Guitarist is performing at our ceremony/cocktail hour

10. Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: You cannot please everyone

11. Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? Delegate what you can, letting go of a couple little details will make planning so much less stressful

12. FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: The other day he INSISTED we put Lionel Ritchie’s Dancing on the Ceiling on our playlist

13. Little Known Fact About You on WB: IDK, I tend to overshare on here. I’m half Puerto-Rican?

Post # 7
2320 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

• How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? At my old job

• Length of Engagement: 14 months

• Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): Formal, sit down three course meal

• Wedding Budget: trying to keep it at $8,000 for everything except honeymoon

• Wedding Colors: vintage peaches and cream, succulent green and hints of gold

• Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): No dress yet! Looking for something short, vintage looking.

• # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): None, ring bearer only.

• # of Guests (approx): 25

• Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): vintage stir sticks with funny sayings on them, 2 signature cocktails, my Future Mother-In-Law is doing our ceremony

• Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: Trust your gut when choosing vendors.

• Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? cliche, but don’t sweat the small stuff

• FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: Told me he was going to wear corduroy pans and buster brown shoes instead of a nice suit.

• Little Known Fact About You on WB: My first name? Hi! I’m Lindsay. aka Mittens  πŸ™‚

Post # 8
921 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

1. How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? We met in Elementary school
  2. Length of Engagement: We got engaged end of November, 2011
  3. Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): Formal
  4. Wedding Budget: It was $20000.. it’s now around $25,000
  5. Wedding Colors: Periwinkle, deep purple, and ivory
  6. Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): Sincerity bridal
  7. # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 1 Maid/Matron of Honor 3 BMS 1 Bridesmaid or Best Man 3 groomsmen
  8. # of Guests (approx): 160
  9. Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): I want a fresh spring feel to it, and people to feel relaxed and have a blast.
  10.  Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: “stop being neurotic” is the best advice I received. I am a fickle person and change my mind quite easily.. every few days I would call my sister and tell her I changed my mind about something or regreted something about the wedding. Once she made me realise I was doing that about everything I learnt to just relax and things have been SO much smoother since.
  11. Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? Take time for you and your Fiance away from wedding stuff, don’t let it consume you.
  12. FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: He originally wanted us to get married at a brewery and have pizza for dinner…
  13. Little Known Fact About You on WB: I have no idea. I think most facts are little known about me here πŸ™‚

Post # 9
6394 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO?

We met at college during a party at my friend’s apartment.

Length of Engagement:

One year almost exactly.

Your Wedding Style (formal, informal):           

Semi-formal at a country club

Wedding Budget:

$10,000, but we’ve hit about $12,000

Wedding Colors:

Pale blue, white and gold

Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”):

Robin Jillian J

# of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable):

4 bridesmaids, 8 groomsmen because Fiance has a ton of really close friends he couldn’t leave out.

# of Guests (approx):

We’re shooting for 100

Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day):

It’s cheesetastic, but I’ll be riding into the ceremony site in a horse and carriage. Fiance will be riding in on an antique car while the theme from “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” plays. I’m personally looking forward to giving him his gift that day, Star Trek cufflinks.

Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning:

I think the least influential advice ever is the whole “it’s your big day, do what you want” crap. On the other hand, I was also told to stand up for myself a bit (from FI), and that’s really helped. It’s a balance between being a horrible person and not letting someone else plan your entire wedding.

Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)?

Don’t talk about wedding planning with your friends IRL. It just never seems to work out well. I wish I would have kept some of the details quiet.

FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote:

He didn’t know weddings had a color. Or that you could pick the songs your DJ plays. He’s adorkably clueless.

Little Known Fact About You on WB:

I eat a peanut butter sandwich every day for lunch at work, just like I ate one every day from elementary school through high school. College was usually a chicken patty, so this is really an improvement for me.

This is a fun thread, I’ve loved reading everyone’s answers!

Post # 11
5654 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? We met at Church at our young adults group a few years ago.

Length of Engagement: We were engaged for just under 18 months

Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): We did a more informal style… still wedding, but much louder and more “fun

Wedding Budget: I have officially added up all the cost but I’m pretty sure we came between 5 & 7k

Wedding Colors: OUr colors were blue, brown, orange, and white (think 60s/70s retro)

Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): I bought my Dress from DB it was part of their Galina collection =)

# of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 4 each!

# of Guests (approx): Around 50

Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): Paper flowers, Vinyl Records, and Converse!

Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: Most –> Definitely from my mom a few mths before the big day…… you DON’T “need” that or to stress over this… it’s about you starting a marriage, NOT what everyone else thinks you should have!

Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)?

1. Make a Photog list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Be detailed and take your time)

2. Don’t stress out about the little things…. and cut out what you really don’t “need”… it’s about you and your FH

3. don’t spend boo koos on invitations…. people will throw them away and you probably won’t get back as my RSVP cards as you think you should’ve

4. Breath and take in the DAY!!!!!!!!!

5. get a videographer… or atleast have someone with a camera or iphone record the ceremony, us brides are going 100 miles an hr so it’s hard to stop and slow down the brain for the ceremony, the vows, and that moment that your groom tells you you look beautiful. get it on tape so you can remember!

FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: He would get a huge “cheese it” grin when I would tell him my ideas and told me through the process that I was doing GREAT!…… alot lol

Little Known Fact About You on WB: Seeing all the dress posts on here really made me worry about my dress…. alot!… I ultimately stopped looking at them. lol

Post # 12
305 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

• How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? I met my wonderful Fiance on a church camping trip – I was walking with a friend and we went to say ‘hi’ to our other friend Jesse… My Fiance (a stranger at the time) was friends with Jesse and as we were walking up the path my friend pointed out that Fiance was watching me. Jesse introduced us and through out the weekend, Fiance and I talked and hung out pretty much the entire time. On the last day, he gave his testimony in front of everyone and cried and I said right then and there that I was gonna marry him πŸ™‚ That afternoon, he asked me out for my birthday…
  • Length of Engagement: Too long πŸ˜› haha – 6 months! 40 days left πŸ™‚
  • Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): Semi-formal… Vintage πŸ™‚
  • Wedding Budget: >_> $5-10… I’ve lost track. Too much -_-
  • Wedding Colors: Green and brown with pearl accents.
  • Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): Allure Couture πŸ™‚
  • # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 3 bridesmaids, 3 groomsmen
  • # of Guests (approx): 100-120
  • Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): Almost everything is DIY but I’m most proud of my decorations, including paper flowers (made from book pages), the bouquets and boutonnieres (bouquets being silk flowers with brooches, bouts being feathers and “leaves” cut from book pages), book centerpieces and a suitcase for my gift envelopes πŸ™‚ , my “guest book” which will be a message in a bottle (which we’ll break open for our 1 year anniversary) and a bible that everyone is gonna highlight their favorite verses in, and I also made my own invitations… which I’m so so proud of πŸ™‚
  • Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: Don’t stress… Haha.
  • Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? Don’t stress!!!! πŸ™‚ Seriously… Everything that you worry/fret/moan/groan about during the planning is gonna be a complete waste of time. The only thing that matters is that you are getting married to someone you love and cherish and that is the only thing you’re gonna wanna remember πŸ™‚
  • FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: Haha… the other day he came back from Men’s Warehouse to inform me he got his suit… Lime green with a purple polka dot hat and a cane. He also demanded we go to Vegas, cause time wasn’t going fast enough for him πŸ™‚
  • Little Known Fact About You on WB:

Post # 13
2216 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

• How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? – At my first job out of college
  • Length of Engagement: 21 months-ish
  • Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): formal
  • Wedding Budget: around $20,000
  • Wedding Colors: dark purple (ie: DB lapis, eggplant), slate gray, hints of green
  • Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): unsure – I think I want some kind of ballgown
  • # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 1 Maid/Matron of Honor, 3 BMs, 1 Bridesmaid or Best Man, 3 Groomsmen, 2 Ushers, possibly 2 flower girls and 1 ring bearer
  • # of Guests (approx): 150
  • Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): our table names will be of our favorite places; we will have a photobooth guestbook
  • Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: not sure yet
  • Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? to reiterate what other people have said – research, research, research! vendor reviews are your best friend.
  • FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote:Fiance wanted a Cleveland Browns themed wedding, complete with orange shirts and brown suits with last names on the back of the jacket like a jersey

Post # 14
210 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO: We met on a blind date!  Thank goodness for the ladies that went out on a limb to do that.

Length of Engagement:  Just got engaged three weeks ago, don’t have a date.  Still wanted to answer this survey though, and maybe come back one day and update!

Your Wedding Style (formal, informal):  I think a mix of both – mostly informal but not totally casual.

Wedding Budget:  Still figuring this out, ugh.  Before WB I thought weddings cost maybe 5k?  I think I’m going to try to work with a 17,500 budget.

Wedding Colors:  Thinking purple and orangey-pink.  Saw some pics on the boards that were gorgeous with this scheme.

Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”):  I love Maggie Sottero and Allure Bridals dresses.  Looking for a trumpet-shape lace dress.

# of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable):  Yikes, my list of potential bridesmaids is at 10.  Probably going to have 5-7.

# of Guests (approx):  Think our invite list will be 200.  We both have big families.  I’d love a smaller wedding, but I love our families too.

Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day):  Bouquets from my favorite flower vendor at the farmers’ market – kind of a rustic elegance look.  Letting my bridesmaids choose any purple dress.  A band to play mostly Motown music to get everyone out on the dance floor.

Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning:  Enjoy it!

Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)?  Remember, it’s only five hours!

FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: Um, can’t think of one, he is still excited by the wedding planning process, don’t know how long that will last πŸ™‚

Little Known Fact About You on WB:

Post # 15
192 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

1. How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? We met working together at the London Eye. Always liked each other, but never said anything until my last day of work (and last day in the country!)
  2. Length of Engagement: We got engaged Jan. 9, 2011 and we are hopefully getting married May 5, 2012, so about 17 months?
  3. Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): Formal-ish for US one, informal for South African one
  4. Wedding Budget: Hopefully $15,000 for the US wedding and less for the South African one.
  5. Wedding Colors: Light aqua blue and pink, with some other pastels thrown in
  6. Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): Casablanca 1785 (it’s an old style, but I love it!)
  7. # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 1 Maid/Matron of Honor, 3 bridesmaids, 1 Best Man, 3 groomsmen, 1 Flower Girl and maybe a ring dog.
  8. # of Guests (approx): 100
  9. Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): Kentucky Derby theme! We will definitely have mint juleps. I want everyone to wear big hats. Oh, and we are using old horse show ribbons of mine and my Maid/Matron of Honor for seating cards and attached to our bouquets.
  10. Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: One of my bridesmaids told me to keep it simple with the food and alcohol. Super fancy food is hard to replicate on a big scale and still have it be good (and hot!). Also, serve the good alcohol for the first hour or so and then go cheap cuz no one will care.
  11. Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? Do tons of research on all of your potential vendors (including other brides’ reviews) and don’t be afraid to think outside the box (or The Knot as the case may be)
  12. FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: FH absolutely doesn’t want to include any part of his culture (South African) in the wedding. He said “If I’m moving all the way across the world, I don’t want to eat the same things I’ve been eating my whole life!” Okay, then, classic Southern it is!
  13. Little Known Fact About You on WB: No clue… I probably haven’t shared a whole lot, but nothing is a secret!

Post # 16
764 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

• How/Where Did You Meet Your FI/SO? A somewhat mutual friend said I should date him, jokingly, so I did.
  • Length of Engagement: Will be 10 months – longer than we had been dating!
  • Your Wedding Style (formal, informal): More along the lines of formal – church, country club, etc.
  • Wedding Budget: Under $10,000 (Ring was free thanks to my grandma, great deal on wedding bands, discount at country club… I think I can, I think I can!)
  • Wedding Colors: Purple with black, a little silver, and bright white, I think.
  • Wedding Dress Designer (or inspiration, if you are still shopping around for the “one”): Clueless.
  • # of Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (if applicable): 4. That’s 4 more than I want.
  • # of Guests (approx): 130 max
  • Personalization (1-3 details of your vision for the special day): We’re having beignets instead of grooms cake and might be giving out mini tabasco sauces since we got engaged on Avery Island where they make Tabasco.
  • Least or Most Influential Advice During your Wedding Planning: The manager at the country club basically told me to tell my dad everything I wanted and they’d take care of it. No sir – this is my wedding and there’s no chance in hell I’m letting my dad convey to you what I want.
  • Your Advice for Fellow Bees (cogitate lessons learned in your wedding planning/or aftermath of the event)? Kill him with kindness. This is the only way we’ve gotten through our registry and guest list.
  • FI’s Funniest or Most Memorable Anecdote: He thinks all wedding cakes look like presents and refuses to say anything other than “Yeah, it’s nice” about any of the ones I show him.

The topic ‘Q&A: What’s the Buzz about your Wedding, Bees?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors