(Closed) Question about Guest List & Addressing

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I’d just address it to all of them. My 33 year old cousin still lived at home and I didn’t want to waste and invite on him (plus I knew both he and his parents weren’t coming to the wedding) so I addressed it as, Mr. & Mrs. Aunt and Uncle, and Cousin.

Post # 5
310 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Id definitely just address it to the entire family. And then maybe on the invitation you can put ‘we have reserved x amount of seats in your honor’. But if its a big family, it just may be easier to send invites to everyone.

Post # 6
148 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I have a few situations like that, where I’m inviting a household and the significant others. What I’ve done so far is just tell those people that their dates are included in the invitation. Another thing I’ve seen on the bee is when people send out RSVP cards, they’ll word it to have the space for names, and the line for attending will have something like “__ attending out of __ spaces reserved” (in this case, 6 reserved spaces). A lot of times people will do that to limit the number of people who attend, but it could work for your situation. If there aren’t many groups like that though, I’d just tell them.

Post # 7
106 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

For my STD’s where my aunt/uncle/ cousins were invited I addressed it as Mr. & Mrs. Smith & Family.

Post # 8
492 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Theoretically etiquette says to send three invitations but I am in agreement with

you over not wasting an invitation.

On the STD you can jusy address it to the family – it’s not a formal invitation yet.

For the invitation, I would put The X Family on outer envelope, and on the inner envelope three lines of names, so it says:

Aunt and Uncle X

Cousin 1 and Guest (or name if you know SO)

Cousin 2 and Guest

Post # 9
3176 posts
Sugar bee

Didn’t put anything for a date but if I would I would have just put and Guest. Nothing too complicated.

Post # 10
899 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I think for the save the dates, you don’t have to necessarily say how many are invited. Since you are inviting everyone plus guests, you don’t have to worry about people assuming they can bring a date when you weren’t planning on giving them a plus one.

If it were me, I would just send one save the date address to the Smith Family.

And then either send separate invitations, write everyone’s name on the inner envelopes (if you are doing them) with “and guest”: ex. Mary and John Smith, Michael Smith and Guest, Kelly Smith and Guest, or do “we have reserved # seats in your honor” like soon2BeMrsPea said.    

Post # 11
899 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@ahavah: Yep, exactly what I wanted to say. 

Post # 13
3267 posts
Sugar bee

@CourtAug12: All adults receive their own invitation.  Regardless of where they are living.

Also you do not address anything (but especially an STD) to “and Guest” you find out the guests name and either a) send them an invite to their own address or b) send the invitation to Jenny Jones and Billy Bishop.

But an STD is really meant for guests you can’t do without at your wedding.  I don’t think you actually give a hoot if Billy Bishop who you don’t even know is present.  So invite your guests and invite the guests on the invitation.

Post # 14
1014 posts
Bumble bee

I pretty much did what everyone suggested.  I know you’re supposed to send every adult their own invite, but some brides just don’t want to waste the resources of sending 3 invites to the same house.  Either because of enviornmental reasons, like not wanting to waste the paper, or because of financial reasons, like not wanting to send 3 $5 a piece invites to the same house.  For me, I sent out Save-The-Date Cards and Invites to The Jones Family, and for the invites I specified inside everyone’s names, including dates.  I think it’s definitely worth the effort of finding out the names of the “and guests” or significant others and iclude them on the invite.

The topic ‘Question about Guest List & Addressing’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors