(Closed) Question about how to file on taxes..

posted 6 years ago in Money
Post # 3
6123 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

@AcheneMalefic:  It’s whatever your status was on the very last day in 2012 – so you do have to file married for 2012 not single.  Whehter married jointly or married separately works better, you can run it both ways in TurboTax to find out.


Same if you had a baby on 12/31/2012.  You get to claim that child for the entire 2012.

Post # 4
8576 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

I would imagine it it doesnt list specific dates and just says “married in 2012”, then it would be married.

I only say this because next year it will ask if you were married in 2013, and you weren’t, so you have to shove it in there somewhere!


However, I’m not a tax preparer, if you are really concerned, you could probably call a tax specialist, h&r block or open a thread on the turbo tax forums.

Post # 5
10366 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

You should file as married. If you get married any time in a calendar year, you automatically file as married for the year.

The topic ‘Question about how to file on taxes..’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors