(Closed) Question about last name

posted 4 years ago in Names
Post # 3
3170 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

You can take whatever you want. I would suggest that you talk with your husband about this and see how he feels. You could change your last name to Sunflower Tree Hugger if you wanted, completely up to you! 🙂

Post # 4
7999 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

On the European continent, the usual way they do it is this:

Mr Jones married Mrs Smith. Their child is Jimmy Jones-Smith (father’s name, then mother’s name).

When Jimmy Jones-Smith has children with Jane Huntingdon-Farthing, their children are then called Jones-Huntingdon (the mothers’ names of the grandparents’ generations are dropped).

So if you wanted to do this, I would (sort of) follow this convention and call yourself by your last name, then his father’s last name.

If you wanted to change your name entirely, then you can call yourself whatever you like! I would be tempted to use the full, hyphenated name if I was going down that route, however. I think it could possibly be a little confusing when you have Mrs Jones married to Mr Smith-Jones. People would wonder what culture you were from, and you might get some odd questions. But if that’s OK with you… just be happy!

Post # 5
602 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@busybride215:  I agree with pp’s speak to hubby to be and see what he thinks I agree though you should take the whole name and socially just go by whatever he does.

Post # 6
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

In the U.S., this may be a bit more complicated when it comes to legally changing your name if his legal name is different from the name you want to change yours to.  I’m in the process of changing my name right now, and I can tell you that the first step is changing your name with the Social Security Administration.  You’ll have to give them a certified copy of your marriage license/certificate, which will have your new husband’s full legal name.  If you’re changing your name to something other than his legal name, they may not accept the name change application.  You may have to submit something else, like a court order to change your name to a different last name than his.  So it might be easiest to change your legal last name to his full (hyphenated) legal last name, but use whatever last name you prefer in social situations.  Hope that isn’t too confusing.  Good luck!

Post # 7
251 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@spring-bride:  the marriage license would be enough to change your name becuase on it, it has your madien name and then your marrid name and the reason for the name change is the marriage. It does not necessarily have to match your husbands for the marriage certifcate to be valid for a name change.


Rachel631 that sounds so confusing to me!!

Post # 8
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@shootznladrz89: That’s not my understanding of how it works in many, if not most, states.  If you want to change your name to a name other than your husband’s legal name, then you usually need a court order (upon a petition for name change).  The marriage presumption only applies if you are changing your name to your husband’s legal name upon marriage.  You can still change your name to something else, of course, but then the certified marriage license/certificate alone is not enough.  States do this to avoid fraudulent name changes.  I would suggest the original poster check the requirements in her state.   

The topic ‘Question about last name’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors