(Closed) Question: Do you tip the DJ & the Photographer?

posted 6 years ago in Money
Post # 3
9056 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

It they are the owner of their own business, no. If you hire a company that sends an employee, yes. 

Post # 4
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

If they are owner/part owner of the business then no, they do not get a tip.

Post # 5
264 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’m curious as to what others say in regards to this as well. I can only answer from what I’ve read. You should tip any vendor if they are not self-employed because not all of the revenue is going to them. We will tip or DJ because he works for the DJ company. Our photographer is self employed, however we may still tip her because we want to.

Post # 6
1697 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Really? If my photographer works for himself I don’t tip him unless I want to?

Post # 7
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Isn’t the definition of a tip only if you want to? Otherwise it would be itemized on the bill. There are certain standards that are polite and I’d like to see what they are since I don’t know the industry, but a tip is not ever technically required, they can’t call the cops or collections on you for not paying one. A tip is a thank you for good service, right?

Post # 8
1128 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I heard about not tipping if they are self employed, however we gave our DJ a small tip because he went above and beyond and exceeded our expecations, plus he was cheap to begin with. We did not tip our photographer because we were not that happy with how things went with her, plus she was overpriced anyway.

Post # 9
2183 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

Eh, I tipped my DJ and photographer. I loved them! I tipped as much as I thought would be a good, like, little bonus. I didn’t use a percent of their fees. There were others I knew I was “supposed” to tip, but I didn’t feel their services warrented it. I actually rolled that cash into the larger tips for the other two.That sounds bitchy, but I was so enraged by the lack of service at my venue that I didn’t tip any of them.

As a PP said, this is optional. Sure, there is etiquette, but in the world of service (really expensive service), I didn’t think it was necessary to follow it completely.

I also don’t think it’s fair not to tip someone just because they own their business… they appreciate it too!

Post # 10
1576 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

When do you give this tip?

At the end of the night? Mail it out the next day?

Post # 11
1917 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

My coordinator says it is not necessary.

Post # 12
264 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@koi424:  One of my friends who is already married said she put the cash tips in labeled envelopes and put her dad and Father-In-Law in charge of making sure the vendors get their tips the night of the wedding.

As for our photographer, my parents live across the street from her, so I may just wait until we get our proofs back to have my mom run a tip over to her.

Post # 13
2416 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I say no. Especially because both of ours work for themselves.

The topic ‘Question: Do you tip the DJ & the Photographer?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors