(Closed) Question: Do you tip the DJ & the Photographer?

posted 6 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
363 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I’d love to know the answer to this, too! I assume sort sort of tip is warranted, but 20%?

Post # 4
1190 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

From what i understand is if the vendor owns the company you don’t need to tip. 

Post # 5
1668 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

This has been the topic of many a wedding conversation in my house lately! The DJ and photog that we hired are the owners of their companies. The DJ costs a whopping $1,200 (my dad REALLY wanted this guy), since he’s the owner, the money goes to him. Why should I have to tip him? The same goes for the photog. I think if its the owner of the company, you shouldn’t “have” to tip, but if it’s a regular employee, it would be nice…IF their service was excellent.  I’m not one who hands out tips at the drop of a hat though.

Post # 6
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I was always told if they owned the company you don’t tip them. But I still tipped them both since they provided a service.

Post # 7
1699 posts
Bumble bee

Paying money to someone who provides a personal service to you creates a social distance between you and them, and prevents their taking liberties or imposing on a friendship that doesn’t exist. If your DJ and photographer are self-employed, then you are already paying them money, and respect for them as professionals includes assuming they know how to calculate the appropriate fee for their services. If you feel their services are so exceptionally good that they are being under-compensated, you can pay them a bonus.

Tip anyone who provides you with personal service, who is doing so as an employee of someone else. If your DJ service is a corporation and your DJ is an employee, then you tip him unless his playlist is completely generic and he made no effort to adapt to your personality and the preferences of your guests.

Post # 8
747 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

well we’re already paying them a whole bunch of money for their service so i don’t think we’ll be tipping…lol

Post # 9
4583 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@Romantigua:  Same! We figured we were paying them enough, and neither of them worked for another company so our money was going straight to them. Tipping didn’t seem necessary.

Post # 10
11356 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

We did not tip our photographer, videographer, or DJ, all of whom owned their own companies.  We did, however, tip our limo driver 20 percent for his services.

Post # 11
270 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I’m with @Fall_In_Love22. If thc ey own the company, they have no business receiving a tip unless they did such a “knock your socks off” job that you are moved to throw extra money at them.

If they are an employee of a larger company, I would tip based on their performance (Unless they are trully awful, then they’re not getting a penny). ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 12
1199 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I am planning to tip the photographer’s assistant (photographer is the owner) and the music guys (I have a DJ/live music combo and there are 4 people, 1 of which is the owner).  Also the 2 photobooth attendants.

The 20% idea is waaay too much for those vendors…so…is $50 pp too much?  too little?

I only have a few days to figure it out!!!!

Post # 13
29 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@Stammie16:  That seems wise.  I would say 15% would be understandable but ANYTHING should be appreciated.  

But I’m lost too.  What if the photographer is the owner and her husband is the assistant?  What about the coordinator and her assistant?  What if our florist is the owner and does a KA job!?  I think he will – but do I give him AND his assistant 20% of the flower quote – that’s a whopping amount and we are at budget capacity – help! haha!

Post # 14
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

We gave our DJ $75. He did have an apprentice with, but we just wrote it out to the company and they can decide how to split it. Our DJ was only $575, though, so that was over 10%. He’s an old acquaintance of ours, and he said that was a solid tip.

Our photog we’ll send a $50 gift card to the best local restaurant once we get our photos. Her fee covered her work, but she was awesome and we loved her, do we wanted to get her a little something. She owns her own studio.

Post # 15
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

If they own their own company and what they quote you for their services -100% goes to them then no I wouldn’t.

Post # 16
915 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

My wedding planner said no tip is expected but if I tip anyone it should be DJ, makeup/hair, transportation

The topic ‘Question: Do you tip the DJ & the Photographer?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors