(Closed) Question For Canadian Bees

posted 7 years ago in Ottawa, Canada
Post # 3
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

@Cappugcino: Not really. You do have to sign the license and register, but we did that before the ceremony since I didn’t want the logistics of getting a table and chairs up at the front of the ceremony site, nor did I want to sign it on someone’s back 😉  I don’t think there are any other differences though. Your officiant should be able to give you some samples of the ceremony though so you can look it over 🙂 If you need some samples, PM me your email and I can send you what I got from our officiant.

Post # 4
300 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I would talk to an officiant if you’re having a civil ceremony. I know in B.C. there is some legal wording that we HAVE to say during the ceremony. Our officiant sent us a template to work off of and he had bolded that wording. He said we could move it around in the script but could not omit it  because we had to say it to make the marriage legally binding. Not sure if it’s the same in Ontario or not.

Post # 5
1715 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Congrats on getting married in Perth. Its one of the prettiest little towns, we just love it there. In Canada the officiant must make sure that you are not being cohorced or put under durress (ps I cant spell). Its the equivilant of asking in the states if anyone in the crowd thinks the couple shouldnt get married.

Post # 6
699 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Basically you have to go to a government office – I think a city office, pay some $$ and get the licence.  


When you go, if either of you have been divorced, you have to take some more documents to prove it.

Note that municipal offices usually use banker’s hours and it can take awhile.  

Your officiant should be able to give some details.  There was no required wording, at least not in the city of Toronto.  PS it’s the same if you live out of province, as we did.

Day of (or whenever really) your officiant and you and some other people sign it, then you get part and the officiant mails in part.  The package of papers from the municipal office will come with a form to request a formal marriage certificate, short form or long form.  I think I got both and it was $30 or so.  That said, they both came folded, so not nice if you want to frame it or anything.  


Unfortunately without some baseline, I can’t tell you if ceremonies in our circles are different from yours or not!  

General ceremony goes like this:

People walk up to the front, someone is an officiant, bride walks in (usually with father).  officiant talks, vows are exchanged, registry is signed, officiant says “i now present the married couple, or mr and mrs X or “chris and kerry” ” kiss, clap, leave.

sometimes there’s unity candles, songs, hymns, readings, “who gives this bride” etc etc

later optionals: receiving lines, speeches, garter toss, slideshows, bouquet toss, bridal party entry into meal, dancing, etc etc.

The topic ‘Question For Canadian Bees’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors