(Closed) Question for military bees who bought a house

posted 6 years ago in Military
Post # 18
1186 posts
Bumble bee

@LMD:  he needs his Dear Daughter214 from when he completes his active duty requirements of basic training and such. He just needs to have it show that he had at least 90 days on active duty (training counts) and was discharged with anything other than dishonorable discharge. He will get this Dear Daughter214 when he is released from active duty, and goes back to the Reserves.

It is confusing. Even though he is in the Reserves the entire time, training is considered active duty.



Post # 20
2625 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@LMD:  I would most definitely do the VA Loan instead of FHA. Fiance is in the Alabama National Guard and he swears by the great deal it is. We are using his VA Loan to build our “Forever” home in the next couple of years.

Post # 22
1186 posts
Bumble bee

@LMD:  I didn’t finish my time in the Reserves, and I am still eligible for VA home loans from my time in training (2 years for me for my basic training and advanced training) on active duty. I received a Dear Daughter214 of general discharge from active duty to the reserves, and it works for me. I didn’t really have a discharge from the reserves because I transferred to an active duty scholarship for ROTC, then I dropped out of ROTC.

It’s worth it just to call a VA home loan officer and see what they say. 

EDIT: I found the form for eligibility. My bad- it’s 181 days of being on active duty. VA form 26-1817 http://www.military.com/Data/MIB/Finance/Content/Files/form_26-1880.pdf

The 181 days includes time in training.

The topic ‘Question for military bees who bought a house’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors