(Closed) Questions about simple ceremony & restaurant dinner reception

posted 7 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Oh dear.. We havent  had our wedding yet but we are planning a simple resturant reception so I’ll share what we have so far:)

We are having 27 guests plus bride and groom We selected a custom menu consisting of a starter salad and three entree options and they will be serving hor dourves as our guests arrive. Our restuarnt has been more then accomodating, they are going to decorate using our centerpieces and directions and are reserving a private inside area incase we get bad weather (we are using the patio). They are also setting up a cake table and a table for the guestbook. They have been beyond amazing and aren’t even charging a fee to rent the space.

For our ceremony, we are having it in a beautiful state park full of 600 year old oak trees. Because the park is so beautiful, we aren’t going to decoarate but we have rented white chairs for the guests. I am having two bridesmaids but no groomsmen (which ive been told is weird to have them walk down by themselves but I dont care).. though my groom will have his sister to stand up next to him as his best (wo)-man

We have hired a photographer.. she’s just starting out so she was already really cheap but I was able to negotiate a bit off her free and she offered to throw in a free engagment session as well so I’m happy. We also have some photographers in the family so I’m sure we will get some great shots.

I’m wearing an Allure gown (style 8815). It looks awful on the model but it’s great in person;) I’m sure its probably a bit overboard for an outdoor/restaurant wedding but it was THE dress. It chose me, what can I say.

I hope that helps you some. I really don’t know how it’s all going to work out just yet but I feel pretty good about it!

Happy wedding planning!

Post # 5
174 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@6598731ssfse3:

Our wedding is sooonnn… we’re having both ceremony and reception at a restaurant overlooking a lake (ceremony outside). We’re buying out the restaurant for our 60 guests. We have 2 groomsmen, 1 bridesmaid and 2 matrons of honor, plus a flowergirl. We’ll have a floral arch outside for our ceremony, chairs set up with an aisle. I’m wearing a white dress, groom is in a tux, groomsmen in dark suits.

Cocktail hour will be outside on the patio; dinner inside. We’re essentially treating the restaurant like any other venue; they do a lot of weddings there and they’re really good. We have the whole space to work with. We’ve got a photographer, DJ, DOC. I just finished the menus I made for our dinner; we had a choice of buffet or seated dinners, we’re doing a buffet. We had choices of table linen colors included, and we’re using the restaurant’s private room for our reception table/gifts, etc.

Post # 6
4582 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Our wedding will be at a restaurant that rents out function rooms, so we basically get the second floor of the place to ourselves for our wedding of about 70 people give or take. The place used to be a sawmill and they also do ceremonies on site so we’ll be having ours outside by the water. Dinner will be buffet style with four entree options from a list of about a dozen and a few sides, breads, salads, etc. The wedding will be pretty standard in that we are having a bridal party (3 on each side), a photographer, DJ and dancing, walk down the aisle and all that jazz.

Post # 7
154 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

We havent had our wedding yet either but we will be married in a park on the water and then the restaurant is about 25 mins away. there is a section of the restaurant that is kinda its own “wing” and we have that part of the restaurant. she wanted to charge me $1500 to rent the space, which was outrageous. I told her I was not willingn to pay that kind of money was there anything she could do, and she knocked the price down to $400. so i just saved 1100 so i was happy about that. 

we are getting married at the Outer Banks and I just got back last weekend tasting all the food and picking the menu. the guests will be able to choose a soup or salad, 4 entrees, and then dessert. we are not having a wedding cake. To make things easier on her, i agreed to do the entree cards so the guests will pick their entree ahead of time. ( its all immediate family– still 40 people so the need for invitations like that were not necessary, but i will now)

we also agreed to do drink tickets. We will buy the 1st round of alcohol, and then after that, guests are on their own and will have to pay for their own alcohol. which i think is fair.

there will be a cocktail hour enjoyed outside on a deck watching the sunset. weather permitting of course. the restaurant is on the same body of water we are getting married on. i cannot wait to take pictures! im so excited.

Im wearing Mon Cheir- Kaylee  the bridesmaids are wearing a one shoulder chiffon dress from davids bridal. the men… well im having a hard time. i want it to be casual like and not formal at all.

Good Luck in your planning!

Post # 8
3671 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

@6598731ssfse3: We had our wedding on March 6 so let me see if I can answer all your questions.

We had 18 guests at the ceremony, 14 at the reception (not including us) and the restaurant had us in a gorgeous private room.  They had great private dining menus so we picked one that guests could order either soup or salad off of as well as one of three entrees.  

I had my brother be my man of honor and my husband had his brother and best friend as his two best men.

My dress was Maggie Sottero’s Summer although I did buy the dress when we thought we were having a much bigger wedding.  We did hire a photographer and I loved having her there!  She actually said she loves to shoot smaller weddings.

Our ceremony was in a gazebo in a park and I did walk down a very long aisle. My guests were supposed to be seated but the chairs never arrived.  It actually looked better with everyone standing and we did get our money back so that was fine.  

As far as the wedding goes, I wouldn’t change anything besides not having everyone be late (but that was fine) and I’m torn on whether I should have worn the strap on my dress since it was such a low key wedding but that’s not really a big deal.  If it helps here’s a link to some pictures.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

_DSC7252b

Post # 9
205 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@mandb122: I love your pics! You look beautiful 🙂 and I love the strap on the dress.

@6598731ssfse3: We are having a smallish (35 including us) wedding at a community garden and then having dinner at a restaurant about 5mi away. We have 3 bridesmaids and 3 groomsmen, but they will not walk down the aile and stand up with us. The girls are still getting ready with me and wearing similar color dresses for pics. I think they are going to pick readings for the ceremony as well and surprise us. After dinner we’ve invited everyone back to our house for cake/coffee/drinks.  My mom is makng the cake, so this is when we’ll serve it and I’ve invited some friends from the area to come over for dessert (wedding is just family plus my childhood friends, who are my bridesmaids).

The restaurant is providing a full menu that does not list prices. They offered a limited menu as well, but I want people to be able to order off the full menu.  We will choose specific wines from which guests can choose (some of the wines offered are really expensive, so not having the full wine menu!). We are not being charged any kind of fee for the space and will have a private room.

We splurged on the photographer, and I am wearing a fancy dress 🙂 I thought I wanted our guests to stand, but then decided to get chairs. This is really to accomodate our grandmothers and older aunts/uncles.

Hope this helps!

Post # 10
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2011

we are getting married april 15 (yay!) we are just doing a simple city hall wedding with about 10 guests (bc its in the morning). we did hire a photographer who will take pics of the ceremony then my soon-to-be husband and i are giong downtown to take some pics. afterwards we are having dinner at a nice restaurant with about 25 people. we had the option to select our own menu but we are lettin everyone choose what they want bc pick a weird/religious/offbeat/picky food issue and my family prob has someone with it. i got my dress at dillards but apparently it doesnt exist bc i cant find it anywhere on the internet but its my eliza j. its knee length with pockets! good luck!

Post # 12
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

We started with this idea, but then it evolved slightly. We’re having about 16 guests consisting of immediate family, and our wedding party will be comprised of his sister and mine. 

Originally we were going to do a courthouse wedding and then a private supper, but then we found a really gorgeous old yoga/meditation/art studio downtown that we rented really cheap so we’re paying the courthouse officiant to come marry us there. We also were originally looking at doing our supper at a restaurant, but then realized that we could rent out a small, independent art gallery downtown for a reasonable fee and hire a caterer.  Especially because the owner is allowing us to handle our own alcohol, even with an awesome caterer we’re pulling this off for much less money than we’d be able to in a restaurant.  This way we have ultimate menu freedom and it’s really going to feel like an event and not just like we’re going out to eat on a Friday night. (this was an issue for us because unfortunately we eat out all the time so that in itself wasn’t really going to be special)

As I said we’ll have a really small wedding party but will still have someone there to stand for us, and I will be getting a “real” wedding dress, maybe not a ballgown, butsomething simple. We’ll have our guests seated as well, since we’re going to do readings and a touches to make it last longer than 5 minutes.

So, you have options! You said you were in the planning stages so I feel like it wouldn’t hurt to figure out exactly what you want. I was satisfied with the courthouse/restaurant route and it would still be great, but I was very pleased to find out what kinds of venues you can get into on the cheap with such a small group!  Definately one of the huge perks of an intimate wedding.

Also we are hiring a pro photographer and she’s working it out with us so we can be charged by the hour and not have to do a big package with prints and all the built in extras- we can simply decide how much time we want and go from there to cover family portraits, ceremony shots, and some candids of us. Paying only for what we want is nice- you can definately find great photogs that will do this for the opportunity at an out of the ordinary wedding event for their portfolio.

Also with our small group we were able to lay plans to host a brunch the next morning in the private upstairs room of a coffee shop where we can do all our own catering to save $$. This might not be a big deal for other people, but all of our guests aside from my sister will have traveled 3 hours and gotten hotel rooms for this.

I love that with so few people the diy projects are so much less intimidating (not 200 of something to make) and I can really add all the extra little touches that I couldn’t if I was trying to do 150 people on the same budget.

(Also since we have a photog for family portraits before the ceremony and the yoga studio doubles as an art gallery we’re serving champagne for our guests so they can sip and wander around to check out the art while pictures are being taken until the ceremony)

Best of luck in your planning!

Post # 13
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: January 2013

The Nikki Beach restaurant is one of the only gourmet dining destinations in South Beach to actually offer a beach and oceanfront restaurant dining experience. Nikki Beach offers an eclectic menu ranging from wood burning oven pizzas, delicious salads, creative sushi rolls, innovative seafood entrees, freshwhole lobster and mouthwatering Chateaubriand.

http://www.nikkibeachmiami.com

Post # 14
1 posts
Wannabee

Thank you for asking this question.  I’m having a small wedding (between 20-30 people) on the beach and then dinner in a restaurant.  We were just told (after giving our deposit) that we can’t have a dj.  I’m going to set up an IPod with speakers so that my fiance and I and my dad and I can at least have a dance.  I’m hoping my guests (which are mostly family and old friends) won’t mind.  Any other suggestions would be helpful!!

Post # 15
1 posts
Wannabee

6598731ssfse3:  hi we are getting married in three weeks! We are getting married in front of the lake at a local seafood restauran! We’re having a wedding dinner and the guest will pay for their separate tab…. Before sending invites to them I asked if they were comfortable with doing so if not the could attend the ceremony and not the dinner. My fiancé and I are on a very tight budget but we felt that it’s what’s best for us and our finances. We have a best man and groomsman, a maid and matron, bridesmaI’d, he bridesmaid and flower girl. We have a musician and singers, photographer and decorato. There will be a total of 85-90 guest so it will be a small wedding. I’m not doing a traditional white dress. It is biscotti bridesmaid stretch satin dress… It’s our 2nd time at marriage so we went with “different” due to the fact that its not as big, it’s not a big deal and by the way “it’s MY wedding ” so whatever makes the bride happy right?! For family and friends that lives far away and can not travel and pay;we sent registry information to them and a option to send $ for our “honeyfund(honeymoon)/funds to go towards our journey of becoming 1st time home owners! basically we could have easily elope but we decided to go this route for family and friends who wouldnt mind sharing this day with us! Even if it means spending $26 bucks for drink, salad, enter, cake, love, laughter, and memories 👰🏽

The topic ‘Questions about simple ceremony & restaurant dinner reception’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors