QUESTIONS: Booking Honeymoon 101

posted 9 months ago in Honeymoons
Post # 2
3970 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2019 - Canada

View original reply
youmaysayimadreamer :  I am just in the process of scouting out all-inclusive trips for our Honeymoon in December 2019. We are going through a travel agent, she’s a friend and her fee is paid by whatever company she books us through. It’s worth it to us to get professional advice at no extra cost (and the prices she sends us are the prices on the travel companies website, so I know she’s not sending inflated prices to cover her fees).

We’re looking at Jamaica because the flights are great from our location and the weather is always gorgeous there. I love that I can send her a wish list and a budget and she can send me a bunch of options and has visited several of the resort or know people who have. I have some great recommendations for Jamiaca if you’re interested!

Post # 3
180 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2021 - City, State

Well, I’m not sure where you’re from, but I know a BEAUTIFUL place here in California called Monterey which I HIGHLY recommend. But if you’re looking to travel outside the US I’m not sure 🙂

Good luck!

Post # 4
189 posts
Blushing bee

For an all inclusive you definitely don’t need a travel agent! Most of them get kick backs from certain resorts so tend to recommend those, even if they aren’t any better. They also don’t get any better pricing, as the companies are generally all charging the same. 

I’d check out costco, but also some of the other 3rd party providers (expedia, etc). Check out trip advisor for reviews on hotels you like. 

Post # 5
635 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I booked ours 6 MONTHS in advance but it coincided with a sports tournament we were a part of, I didn’t use a travel agent and handled it all myself. It was fairly easy.

However Hurricane season is frequent during JUNE-NOV in most tropical areas… so if you are planning on going somewhere near your wedding you will be within hurricane season. I think Aruba is pretty safe, but I think Barbados is #1 for being out of the zone

Post # 7
2107 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

View original reply
youmaysayimadreamer :  you don’t need a travel agent and could book direct with the hotel/airline you like. You can post a question on trip advisor to ask how easy it is to get a taxi to your resort and what the likely cost would be. I personally like travel agents (and don’t mind if there’s a slight increase in costs), I like going in and being able to pick up brochures to help narrow down places, I like talking to the travel agents and using their experiences to pick a trip right for us and I like having someone to be held accountable if something goes wrong. If you don’t want to use a travel agent, start by googling some places – see what activities there are to do there – do you want to go snorkelling, explore local culture, be on the beach all the time, visit different beaches, go on hiking trips… some places won’t suit you both and some places will seem like the perfect mix for both of you.

You can usually book flights 50 weeks in advance, so depending on when in August you’re looking to travel you can book late July or early August. We booked our holiday for next May as soon as we could, so 50 weeks and we got a huge discount on our room rate (45% of the top of my head) so we’re saving a good chunk. The other option is you go for a late deal and get something for relatively cheap but I think a late deal is a little bit risky for a honeymoon.

Post # 8
236 posts
Helper bee

For an all inclusive, you don’t need a travel agent. I’d recommend looking at Costco Travel or Expedia and booking several months ahead. You either find deals way ahead or super last minute. I’d probably recommend Aruba as it’s outside of the hurricane zone, pretty safe, beautiful beaches or they have a few all inclusives. We went to Los Cabos for our honeymoon and it was amazing! The weather is always sunny and clear, but there is always the risk of a hurricane in August/Sept. 

Post # 10
7 posts
Newbee

For st.lucia…if you want nice places to sta…sometimes 6 months in advance is needed. So i guess thats how it must be for other places in the caribbean too.

xx

Post # 11
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2020

My first honeymoon we booked 2 days before from the “last minute deals” because my exhusband was the cheapest man on the planet!  lmao

We have already booked Costa Rica for Nov 2020.

If you are looking for romance in the carribean can I suggest Rendezvous in St Lucia.  It is the ultimate couples only resort.  It is boutique and they only have 100 rooms.  AMAZING!!!!  We went there for FI’s 50th birthday.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors