Post # 1
When chaning your name on your driver’s license, what proof do you need?
Can you bring your new social security card? Or do you need the marriage certificat
also? I have only changed my ss card and am getting sick of signing my old last name from first marriage. Just having no time to change it….
Post # 3
The answer depends on your state. I’d check out the website of whatever agency issues drivers’ licenses.
Post # 4
@Carolyn72: I would bring your new SS card and a certified copy of your marriage certificate. Couldn’t hurt to be over-prepared.
Post # 5
I’m in RI, and this is basically what I did (as I figure this will help some other brides to be)
- Wait for your officiant to file your marriage certificate. Go buy a certified copy when it’s available (call your town hall..takes a few days) and make some copies.
- Take copy to social security and change your name.
- 24 hours later (takes that long to register) you can go to AAA or DMV and ask for a name change on your license. Costs $6.50, at least in RI. Unfortunately, AAA will not change name on your registration. You will need your marriage certificate for both. SS Card not necessary..you likely won’t even have it yet. But, I brought the receipt the SS guy gave me saying I legally changed my name.
- Next stop – DMV to change name on your registration.
- Change name on, and add spouse to, car insurance – ours dropped $40/month for becoming married! We were already on the same plan, too.
- Contact utilities and then credit cards.
Hope that helps 🙂 I got SS card in a week, and license in about 2 weeks.
Post # 6
I had to bring both, I live in Virginia
Post # 7
@sorrycharlie: Why do you have to buy a copy of your marriage certificate? My officiant gave ours to us right after the ceremony.
Post # 8
@Carolyn72: an official, certified copy is $20 here. we got an unofficial one after the ceremony, but at least in RI, they have to file it with the town hall. not sure why, actually, but just the way it works I suppose.
Post # 9
I am in MN all we needed was a certified copy of the marriage certificate to change the DL