Post # 1
Last night, our adorable dog was alone for 10 minutes, and managed to break into a cabinet of food (which he has not done before) and ate about 10 oatmeal raisin cookies. As you might know, raisins (and grapes) are toxic to dogs. Immediately, I induced vomitting so he would throw up the cookies, which he did. He was acting fine during the night and then threw up a couple more raisins early this morning. I called our vet when they opened, who told me that because we induced vomiting, he should be fine, but to watch him closely over the next few days.
So today, I was telling some family & friends what happened.. and most of them never heard that grapes or raisins are potentially deadly to pets! I wanted to post this here just in case someone else has never heard of this before.
I consider myself a good pet owner, but no matter how careful you are, your dog can still get into something they shouldn’t. I never would have thought he’d be able to access the cabinet he got into.. it’s hard for me to open it! But when they get determined, they can get into almost anything.
Here’s a link on how to induce vomiting in dogs. Something all dog owners should know!
Post # 3
Also Avacodo, onions, garlic, dairy (Not fatal, but can cause severe diarrhea), and macadamia nuts.
Thanks for sharing though! So many people don’t know these things!
Post # 4
I knew that raisins/grapes are toxic, but not how to induce vomitting. Thanks for the link!
Post # 5
- Wedding: August 2011 - St. Joseph's Parish, Seattle Tennis Club
I’m glad you posted this – I think a lot of people don’t know this, and it’s good for new dog-owners to know what they shouldn’t give their pups. You can find a few more foods that dogs shouldn’t eat here:
I am paranoid about all of this stuff, and always make sure I look something up before I give it to him (like frozen peas!). I do, however, sometimes give him a bit of cheese as treats, which he seems to do fine with.
Post # 6
@pecanpie: I didn’t know how to induce vomiting so thanks for that! I probably would have rushed to the vet & paid a shit ton of money lol I did know about the grapes & raisins, luckily we rarely have them in the house & if so, grapes are in the fridge. Pups can be sneaky!!
Post # 7
@Brideonabudgetlauren: I was suprised that almost no one I knew had heard that grapes or raisins were toxic! As soon as I saw what he ate, I rushed to make him throw it back up!
Post # 8
I never buy gum sweeted xylitol because it’s poisonous. The girls have been known to raid my purse for munchies I don’t want to risk it.
Post # 9
@Mrs. Candy Apple: Thanks for posting that link! 🙂 It’s good for everyone to know what their pups shouldn’t be eating.