- 4 years ago
- Wedding: July 2014
I posted on here awhile back about my mom having a hysterectomy done and having to postpone my shower because of complications from the surgery.
That was the first week of May. She is STILL in the hospital 6 weeks later.
Here’s what happened (and I’m just relaying what I’ve been told). During the hysterectomy, the tube to her kidneys was cut by accident, but they didn’t realize it until 3 days later. By then her organs were contaminated by urine. Since then, she has been battling infections and several blood clots in her lungs. It has been a mess.
My wedding is July 5, and it’s 4 hours from where my parents live. The doctor told her over the weekend he felt traveling anytime soon was out of the question as he was afraid of risking movement of any clots, and he wasn’t even sure she’d be out of the hospital by then.
My mom & I have our issues, but the thought of her not getting to be at my wedding breaks my heart. She had told me last week it could be a possibility, and so I got all of my crying out then and have come to accept it more so. I’m not worried about myself. I can handle it and will have a strong support system the day of the wedding. But I am worried about my mom. I can’t even imagine how traumatizing & devastating it will be for her to miss her only daughter’s wedding, to not be there to experience it. To be cooped up in a hospital bed while all of our close family & friends are 4 hours away celebrating.
So I’ve been trying to think of what I can do to make the situation better for her. What I’ve come up with so far:
1. I had a handkerchief made for her for the day of, and will be going to see her next week, so I’m going to give it to her then to have.
2. I thought about having flowers sent to her the morning of the wedding.
3. I am going to have my brother facetime the bigger moments (ceremony, first dance, father/daughter, etc) with her.
4. FH’s brother is going to bring his video camera to set up and film the ceremony and reception. Nothing fancy, but at least it will be on tape.
Any other ideas to make the situation better?
- This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by regit45.