(Closed) Reception full sit down dinner starting at 7:30PM ok?

posted 6 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
4485 posts
Honey bee

If you normally eat at that time, it’s fine. Will you have time to do everything else (dancing, other entertainment) before you have to leave?

Post # 4
1844 posts
Buzzing bee

It depends on your crowd, if you are providing snacks between the ceremony and the 7:30 dinner than I think it is okay, but that doesn’t leave much time for dancing, assuming dinner + toasts + cake will take an hour. Start the rest at 8:45-9:00?

Post # 5
4046 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I usually eat late too, but it may be harder for some of your older guests or children to adapt if they are used to eating dinner at an early hour. Especially if there are any delays, you’re looking at past 8 which is quite late for dinner. The guests will have already been there for nearly 3 hours. Is there any way to shorten the cocktail hour a bit and have dinner at 7?

Post # 6
3175 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I think that will be fine. I usually eat dinner early (I have a toddler), but I expect to be out a lot later for a social event, so I would have no problem with it. Particularly because you’re offering snacks in the interim.

Post # 7
11365 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

I think that is perfectly fine.  My dinner service was supposed to begin at about 8 p.m., but, because of some deviations from our timeline (long ceremony, time for pics, me having to change out of and back into the gown for a restroom visit, etc), we were doing the toasts at 9 p.m. and dinner began shortly thereafter. I am just thankful that our chef was able to hold the meal that long! So, having your dinner service begin at 7:30 p.m. is no problem at all.

Post # 8
1158 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I usually eat around five.I think it will be fine since you are having apps. though.

Post # 9
1158 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I usually eat around five.I think it will be fine since you are having apps. though.

Post # 10
227 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

We are also getting married at a winery and are in the same situation.  Our ceremony starts at 6, the we will have cocktail hour 6:30 – 7:30 with dinner around 7:45.  I think its perfectly fine.

Post # 11
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Our venue only starts cocktail hour at 7 and dinner ay 8 so I’m in the same boat as you. I’m just hoping guests snack on something before the ceremony if they’re going to be hungry. I think most guests will see the reception time and plan accordingly if they normally eat earlier.

Post # 12
11271 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

i think that sounds fine especially with having nibbles at the cocktail hour.  my wedding timeline is similar to yours and i am making sure that we are serving a wide variety of hors d’ouevres (passed and stationary) for cocktail hour.  also, we are taking our pictures prior to the ceremony so that we can enjoy our guests during cocktail hour.

Post # 13
7901 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

I don’t understand why you have 30 min for photos and then 1.5 for cocktail. Can’t you condense that all to 1 hour? Traditionally, cocktail hour entertains your guests while you are not there (because you are taking photos). You could easily move the dinner up 30 min to an hour.

Post # 14
7901 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

I think I confused myself, actually. But, I’m not sure. Is it that the catering team can’t serve until 7:45 and you are trying to till that time?

Post # 15
1697 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

When you see the start time on the invite it’s a hint for people to plan accordingly 😉

The topic ‘Reception full sit down dinner starting at 7:30PM ok?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors