• poll: Is this ok?

Rude!

Perfectly ok!

• Post # 31
    3085 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

View original reply
    @mayblueskies:  It’s definitely based on where you live. My mom is from the UK so I’m familiar with this happening often over there. But it is mostly frowned upon in the US. 

Post # 32
    67 posts
    Worker bee

When someone did invite me (and most guests) to the reception only, I did think it was very weird and off-putting. And I wasn’t even offended, but I know some people who were.

But I think that this largely depends on where you live, as PPs have said. I live in the US for what it’s worth.

Post # 33
    526 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @bluecutie00:  US bee here. Where I’ve lived, this is not uncommon. Nor is it frowned upon. Plus, OP is sufficiently odd that I doubt the 40 guests will take offense, especially given how the pandemic has upended what is “typical”.

Post # 34
    368 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    @moschata:  Are you seriously calling the OP “odd” or was that supposed to be a joke?  Typo?

Post # 36
    526 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @lauralaura123:   Totally agree. The best people are far from normal. It’s your wedding – you should spend less time caring about people who don’t see the value in your uniqueness.

Post # 37
    3951 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I recently recevied an invitation like this – to a reception, but not to the ceremony. I know the bride and groom are having a very small family-only ceremony, and I’m not offended at all by ony being invited to the reception.

(Granted, there are some other etiquette & planning issues for the wedding that bothered me a bit, but not related to this aspect, and I’m still intending to go.)

Post # 38
    2036 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2019

I think it’s a tad gift grabby, but NOT during a pandemic. Like, at all 🙂 I am from the US and it’s a very common thing to reduce too much exposure to other people. Plus, in a ceremony, you are standing for awhile in one place. During a reception, you are more free to move around and reduce risk of contact. 

So I would do it, but with the pandemic as the excuse – don’t tell people you’re doing it because you’re afraid of saying the vows in front of everyone!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors