(Closed) Registry – Advice on Pots & Pans And Knifes

posted 7 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
2854 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

My Fiance and I each bought a basic henkels set when we were living apart, and they’ve lasted for years (we take care of them, but not as well as we should because I sometimes throw them in the dishwasher Embarassed  Shh,).

This is close to what I have: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=11097022&RN=395&

Also key is safe cutting boards (like wood).

I’m actually really torn about pots and pans myself. Fiance wants to go nonstick because of ease of cleanup, but a friend just brought up safety issues with teflon coatings. We’re currently registered for Calphalon Unison cookware, but I added some enamel-coated Le creuset pieces that can safely handle high temperatures.

Post # 4
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

Darling Husband and I got Cuisinart aluminum clad, stainless steel cookware. Instead of just having copper or aluminun just on the bottom, it goes up the sides as well, so water boils faster and everything cooks more quickly. They are very nice – my only thing is I’m not a huge fan of the handles – they are metal (so they do pick up heat) and somewhat skinny so they can be awkward to hold for me. 

Here is a link – http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-77-10-Stainless-Steel-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00008CM68/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1317068670&sr=1-1

We originally registered for a Wustoff knife set that was $300 (yikes!) but actually changed our minds last week when we went to buy and got a $180 set from Victorinox which were rated very, very well for their price range. We should actually be getting them today so I haven’t had a chance to use them yet. Lol, I’m asking Darling Husband about them (since he picked) he said it’s the same people that make Swiss Army knives, so they know what they are doing!

Here is a link to their various sets – http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner/knife-sets

Henckels that the PP mentioned above is another well-known brand that we looked at. Lots of choices – your best bet is to go to a store armed with reviews and a couple faves, and try things out – hold them, take a look, check the price, and make your pick!

Post # 5
466 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Get a set that is NOT non-stick, but register for a few non-stick pans for making simple things like eggs, pancakes, grilled cheese. I’m really paranoid about the teflon seeping in the food. 

Post # 6
2854 posts
Sugar bee

@kimbean: Yeah… when I brought this up to Fiance he rolled his eyes. But he does that sometimes. I did a bunch of reading about the teflon question and got different conclusions from different places. I’m going to have to give it some thought, the performance reviews for the nonstick set we did choose seem to be very good.

Post # 7
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@atalante: Teflon seems to be dangerous (as far as fumes and whatnot) when used at really high temperatures. I’m paranoid too – we have a couple non-stick pans, but we pretty much use our stainless steel ones.

I would be more concerned in the future if we had babies/children who would be more sensitive to the fumes and would probably not use non-stick at that point.

Post # 8
492 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I love love love our Calphalon Unison omelette pans and our Cuisinart Green Gourmet double griddle. Both of these lines have pretty ideal non stick properties – I can cook eggs and pancakes with no butter or oil. I think the Green Gourmet avoids the teflon worries that a previous poster had. I also have some Le Creuset enameled cast iron but it wouldn’t work as well for those applications. For knives FYI there is a single $20ish one that I adore from Calphalon that is called a tomato/bagel knife that is perfect for your basic wants. I lost mine after moving and registered for Calphalon Contemporary knives solely on the basis of loving that knife.

Post # 9
Hostess
16018 posts
Honey Beekeeper

We have a Farberware knife set and we like it! It’s middle of the road, not too expensive but not cheap either.

Post # 10
2320 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

We have All-Clad non-sticks and stainless. Every pan heats evenly even on our crappy apartment stove. We have some basic Cuisinart pots that are really good – I think I paid $70 on sale for them, they’ve held up for quite sometime!

As far as knives, we have Wustof, the ikon line. We’ve had them for over a year and haven’t need to have them sharpened. But I would register for a nice knife sharpener while your at it, regardless of what knifes you get. 

Post # 11
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Hard Anodized pans are “non-stick” but not with teflon coating. Does that make sense? We registered for a stainless steel stock pot and frying pans but they were SO expensive we could not justify registering for a whole set.

We have Wusthof Knives that we personally acquired over the years…we’ve used all the rest and feel Wusthof is the best.

But honestly if you’re not a big cooker I wouldn’t register for such pricey items. Henckels are perfectly good knifes but much cheaper than Wusthofs. Or you can register for the “star versions” of brands like Henckels and Wusthof. They are not the same quality but still decent knives and cheaper. Same with cookware.

Post # 12
2854 posts
Sugar bee

@hisgoosiegirl: Yeah, that was the sticking poiint (hahaha… sorry Undecided) for me. I have a hard anodized aluminim pan (not coated) that does most of the high-temp work for me now, and some stainless pieces.

@ahavah: I will check out Green Gourmet, thanks! Also nice to hear about the unison.

Post # 13
1679 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I would go with Wusthof or Henckels knives.  You won’t have to replace them if you keep them sharp.  They might seem a little expensive, but if you get someone cheap, you will probably spend more over time, if that makes sense.

I’m still using the Henckels my mother bought me when I got my first apartment, about 15 years ago.  In the last year, I’ve thought about bringing them to a kitchen shop to have them professionally sharpened, but they don’t need help desperately.

Post # 14
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

For tomatoes, get a santoku knife!

For Henckles, I have heard that the knife sets with one guy on them are lower quality, and the ones with two guys are higher end.

Post # 15
192 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

If you are worried about teflon look for pots/pans that say PFOA-Free. Like these

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=121349&RN=398&

You can use metal utensils and no chipping.

I have a cheap set from Macys right now, that are hard anodized aluminum. I got the set for $99 during their one day sale, and have had them a year. They hold up well, but have started warping. Think about your daily use. If you don’t cook often a slightly cheaper set of non-stick is ok. If you cook on a ceramic cook top look for pans that are resistant to warping. Warping causes the pans to not cook evenly on the cook top (some cooktops wont stay hot with out the contact), and my pans that I use all the time (deep skillets) are warped pretty badly. However while cooking on gas/electric I did not notice a problem with the warping.

Be aware that most Hard-anodized aluminum cookware has teflon as a non-stick coating. They need to specifically say PFOA-Free.

As far as knifes your basic henkels set will work well, but look for a set with a chefs knife. These are by far my favorite, and I have both a 10″ and an 8″. This is the knife you want to spend some money on as it will be your go to for everything. Look for one that fills good in your hand. I got both of mine at target seperately and I love them. They were each about $10.

Plus remember to register for the proper utensils to go with your cookware. Non Stick with teflon needs wood/plasic/rubber utensils to not scratch the surface.

Post # 16
2320 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

AND! I would go with either silicone or bamboo cooking utensils for use both non stick and stainless steel pots and pans, that way they don’t get all scratched up!

The topic ‘Registry – Advice on Pots & Pans And Knifes’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors