(Closed) Renewing my Passport!

posted 6 years ago in Travel
Post # 3
13012 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

It’s not advisable to travel on a passport that expires shortly after your travel dates.  Just in case anything happens, you want to have a valid passport on you!

The State Department website will tell you everything you need – I think all you do to renew is send your expired passport and a new photo with a renewal form. 

You may want to renew it now, and then get a new one once you’re back from your honeymoon (if you’re changing your name). You can get a name change one at no charge if you renewed it within the past year.

Post # 5
2697 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Yes, get it now. I’m fairly certain that some countries will not allow you to enter if your passport expires within 6 months.

Post # 6
786 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

I think a passport can take 4-6 weeks to get back. I can’t remember exactly though (its been awhile since I needed to renew). And you can’t change your name until you’re married so if you wanted to get a passport with your new name, you wouldn’t be able to do it until after your wedding as you’d need to provide documentation that your name had changed when renewing. If youre planning a honeymoon for right after your wedding, you should probably renew your passport with your current name, go on your honeymoon, and then change your name (and get new documents  – license, passport, ss card, etc).

Post # 7
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I agree with others, renew with your current name and as long as you change your name within a year of the renewal, you can get the passport changed to your new name for free.

The topic ‘Renewing my Passport!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors